Toyota Transmission Ills

I had been reticent to buy a new Toyota because of all the chatter about the behavior of the newly modified transmission.

I just read a blurb in Motor Trend which suggests that not all those transmissions misbehaved, and the Toyota engineers had pinpointed the problem and the fix. MT says that there were likely no more than about 160 trannies subject to this problem.

Does anyone know the 'for sure' story about the transmission issues with late model Toyotas?

Reply to
<HLS

Toyota also considers a tranny skipping gears to be a "minor problem." Not in my book. People should believe their own checkbooks more than Toyota's PR department. I will say for now give it some time and let the bugs work out, especially after they cut 20% of the tranny parts to save costs.

Besides, by the end of a year the price always drops. Of course, you can always try it and let us know ;)

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nix wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

jongdole post a link to your theory of Toy reducing 20% of parts to save money, or quit posting missinformation. It was redesigned for more efficiency, my new Corola is fine and all I have heard about them is good.

Reply to
m Ransley

They did actually reduce 20% of the parts for efficiency, however it looks like things didn't turn out to be too efficient, eh? Why talk of the Corolla when the issue is with the 07 Camry. I have also put my plans of buying one on the back burnner for now. Think I'll wait atleast a year for them to iron out all such teething problems associated with a new model. However I guess it depends on each individual when they take the plunge.. A Camry however is a pretty safe plunge any day.. And guys please buy it so that any problems can be identified before I go to buy it ;-)

Reply to
vineeth

Regardless of the intention, a major tranny change would make an alert person think twice, especially in light of the fact that there have been quite a few complaints about this particular tranny.

Motor Trend documented this, and I have read a raft of customer reviews of the Camry at other sites. Most owners loved them, but some very much didn't like the tranny.

Reply to
<HLS

Is this tranny problem only on the new 6-speed automatic?

Dick

Reply to
Dick Byrd

Yes, from what I understand, it is.

Reply to
<HLS

What about the bad shifting 5speeds rampant through Toyota and Lexus?

Reply to
Bob H

There were problems with the 5 speed hunting for gears during downshift. That's a different problem with the valve body. The 07 saves time by not shifting into gears, that's efficiency ;) and Toyota calls it a "minor problem" but did not elaborate further as to what caused it.

I don't think anybody actually believes Toyota threw out 20% of the parts just for "efficiency" they way they are cutting costs these days. And when a gear shift does not succeed, I call it a major problem. Looks like the more "efficient" these trannies got, the bigger the problmes. I'd rather have a less "efficient" tranny then.

When your friends and relatives come asking about the car they should know this so they don't blame it on you afterwards. But I do agree that after such major tinkerings to give the 07 camry some time to work out the bugs, which is what I'd recommend anyways. Besides, in a few months the year-end price cuts should begin to kick in.

Bob H wrote:

Reply to
johngdole

The 07 Camry came out in March. So before the first oil change some transmissions are skipping gears. That's a real bummer.

Yeah, go buy it and let us know ;) Like I said, skip the beta-test version and wait for version 1.0 to come out.

v> They did actually reduce 20% of the parts for efficiency, however it

Reply to
johngdole