Trans Fluid Pumping Into Oil Pan

2004 Camry V6 LE 70,000 miles. well maintained.

The transmission fluid is disappearing but winds up in the oil pan. No apparent leaks on floor. Pumped one and a half bottles of trans fluid from trans to oil pan.

What can this be? Expensive to fix? How much?

Is this common?

Reply to
BeeJ

I dont know about the others here but I am having trouble understanding what you are saying.. Are you actually losing tranny fluid from the system over time? You ARE checking the fluid level properly, arent you?

Any other symptoms?

Reply to
hls

Not over time, almost immediately. The tran fluid is pumped into the engine and winds up in the oil pan.

Reply to
BeeJ

Interesting....Normally there is no interface between tranny fluid and the engine innards, as you know. On cars with vacuum modulators, it was not too uncommon for the diaphragm to rupture and the tranny oil would be sucked into the vacuum system, ending up going down the intake manifold.

Please let us know when you find the answer to this one.

Reply to
hls

If the car has both an oil cooler and a transmission fluid cooler the connections could have been switched...?

Reply to
Leftie

What a mess that would make! In seconds you would have motor oil mixed with the ATF and it would be in the engine and in the tranny.

Reply to
hls

If so, then why would the trans fluid be so low and the oil so high?

I only do oil changes so I never touch anything except the oil drain plug and the filter. And I do know which stick is which and only add trans fluid at the trans stick. Oil goes into the oil fill where it has for the last six years.

Reply to
BeeJ

What he was saying was that if you had a separate tranny cooler and a separate oil cooler, those are set up to work as closed loops, and the two fluids do not interface.. There is no avenue for cross contamination, BUT

If you accidentally screwed up the connections, then the two coolers would essentially be connected in series, and motor oil and atf could (would) commingle. Both engine and tranny would still receive fluid but it would be a mix of oil and atf.

I had said that I could think of no way the fluids could intermingle, but he thought of one..It is a possibility, not something that would normally happen. If you havent been working under the car, and you havent had the vehicle to some other shop somewhere, then it is highly unlikely...unless you have a friend (or enemy) with a perverse sense of humor.

Reply to
hls

It wouldn't be the OP. It would have to be someone else who screwed up the connectsions, but checking it shouldn't be too hard. Just follow the lines and see where they go. He probably has no oil cooler in the first place, right?

Agreed.

I haven't been here long enough to know if the poster is serious, but he should still know that trans fluid is not nearly as slippery as oil is and you can't run your engine with too much tran fluid in it. Click and Clack just said last week that you can put a pint, or maybe it was a quart, of almost anything in the gasoline, and the car won't noitce, but there is some limit for the gas tank and the crankcase.

Reply to
micky

Well, did you figure it out???

Reply to
hls

hls has brought this to us :

No one knows what is going on. Have not had to time to tow it anywhere yet. Don't even know who to tow it to.

Reply to
BeeJ