Transmission not shiftng into reverse

2002 Camry just makes noise and won't move when put in reverse. Only 110000= miles. Mechanics say I need a new transmission but I was wondering if it c= ould be something that could be fixed. Over the 110000 miles oil was change= d maybe 5 times so it was taken care of.
Reply to
mark.ransley84

miles. Mechanics say I need a new transmission but I was wondering if it could be something that could be fixed. Over the 110000 miles oil was changed maybe 5 times so it was taken care of.

Well, I would certainly get the opinion of another transmission shop, or maybe 2, before spending all that money. I don't know of any external parts related to reverse, but there are a lot of external parts.

And when my 73 Buick wouldn't shift into high, the trans shop owner gave me two choices, replace or, for significantly less money (1/2?) repair. I picked repair and it lasted me 100,000 miles.

You say "oil". You didn't put oil in the transmission did you? Transmission fluid is not oil and it's a lot less slick than oil. Even if only half the fluid is replaced with oil, the tran will slip, although that wouldn't account for the noise.

I've never heard of anyone changing the fluid every 20K. Topping off, replacing what's missing when there's a drip, is excellent, but for changing, every 100K is about the most often I've heard of**, even 30 years ago.. Well, okay, Toyota says more often than that but only every 60,000 miles or 72 months. Also a lot of people will change the fluid when the transimssion doesn't work, and I've heard that sometimes works but I have no actual testimonials.

**I don't know about CVTs. While the fluid gets hot, it doesn't have combustion gases and the compounds they form mixed with it. I'm reminded of the saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Since then , I had a Chrysler transmission that was going clunk goiing from 61 to 60mph, and from 5 to 4mph. A local chain read my transimission codes for free and said there were none. A non-chain shop seemed to have more detail on his tool and came up with a code, but the remedy he offered was replacing the transmission. And he charged me 25 to read the codes. Next time I'll ask t he price first. I know it would have been lower. Drove the car another 10,000 miles and then both clunk went away .

Reply to
micky

I used only trans fluid , the Camry has a drain plug on the trans, after t= he first full drain. I used to drian what could be drained from the oil plu= g, since only about half comes out, when it went a bit brown I would drain = it, I figure why wait till its real bad.

Reply to
mark.ransley84

Replying to myself, I did find some guys on the web who changed it at

30K. I'm surprised. Those who know me know I won't be doig that. :-)

Well, okay, Toyota says more often than that but only

Reply to
micky

Only 110000 miles. Mechanics say I need a new transmission but I was wondering if it could be something that could be fixed. Over the 110000 miles oil was changed maybe 5 times so it was taken care of.

My reply here may be totally not applicable nowadays, but here is my story.

Your very situation got me into doing car repairs, 60 years ago. I was told I needed a new transmission, when mine would not shift into reverse. (I remember driving to school etc. in downtown Boston, looking for parking places which did not need to be backed into.)

Anyway, I thought I would try my hand at things, and lo and behold, all that was needed was an adjustment where the shift lever from the driver's area went into the transmission. Cost = $0.

A couple of weeks later I asked at the gas station about an electrical problem, and was solemnly told that my guess at what was wrong was totally wrong. When I found out that I was right, I finally realized that an intelligent approach to a car designed by engineers was just as good, or better, than a grease monkey whose only asset might be that he was renting a gas station.

Reply to
brendan welch