V6 Camry - does it require premium gas??

I've looked at some car purchasing sites, but don't see a specific reference as to whether the new V6 Camry's require premium gas. Can someone give me the answer to this one.

Thanx,

Joe

Reply to
Joe Hill

Required: No

Recommended: Yes

I always follow the recommendation. Especially if you do lots of highway driving.

Reply to
Car Guy

hmmm I looked around and came up empty also. I know my '93 V6 calls for

91 octane
Reply to
Hopkins

The 1997- current V6 models will run on 87 or above. Runs with more horsepower and better mileage the higher the octane. Lower octane is recommended for short trips or cold weather. Don't forget mid-grade if you want to compromise.

Reply to
Mark A

Mark,

Actually higher octane fuel would be better for cold start issues. If you look at the following link on the long term test of a 1997 Toyota Camry at Edmunds.com, this was addressed there :

> hmmm I looked around and came up empty also. I know my '93 V6 calls >> for 91 octane

Reply to
Car Guy

I didn't say "cold start" I just said cold weather. If you have a Toyota, you don't have a starting problem.

Higher octanes help prevent detonation and allows the timing to advanced. If the weather is cold, the chances of detonation is slightly less, and you want actually want the engine to heat up as fast as possible.

Reply to
Mark A

Understood. I figured in cold weather, one may have cold start issues.

My apologies

Reply to
Car Guy

Cold start ability (for items that you have any control over for a given engine and its general operating condition) is more related to oil viscosity and CCA of the battery. Synthetic oil definitely helps. Reasonably fresh gasoline is a slight factor.

Reply to
Mark A