Valve Cover Gasket Replacement 1995 - degrease cams?

When I replace my valve cover gasket what is the best way to clean off all the gunk on the camshafts and stuff underneath? Can I just spray degreaser and scrub? Guess it would be tough to rinse, but I want to clean out the gunk.

Reply to
camry-keeper

What gunk? If you've been changing the oil, there won't be any. If you find "gunk" there, it will also be in the oil pan. Spraying degreaser definitely sounds like a bad idea. If the oil on the dipstick is clean, the camshaft area will be clean. Check auto-rx.com for engine cleaning.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Unless you have neglected changing you oil - there should be no gunk - just perhaps brown discoloration from oil. If gunk then find a place that does a BG engine flush. You sure don't want to wash gunk down into the oil pan where the oil pump sucks it up and gets cloughed.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Just because oil is not discolored does not mean considerable hard varnish will not exist ... not by a longshot.

Reply to
Philip

Once sludge has formed in the motor, you cant remove it without risking the contaminants being sucked up by the oil-pump and being pumped past the clogged oil-filter then into the heart of the engine ie the bearings.

Leave it there until the engine needs overhauling.

If you want to do something to extend the engine's life, change your oil more frequently (I do it at 3000 ks or2000 miles as mine has the same problem,....I bought it that way) so there is no chance of more sludge formation.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

I know there is 'hard varnish' from looking in the oil filler hole...I do change every 5k but after 140k, a suppose a little buildup is ok. I'll take your advice and leave it there. Thx.

Reply to
camry-keeper

Thanks, Have you used auto-rx? I can see what looks like varnish when I look in the oil filler hole, so I expect more of the same when I remove the valve cover. My local shop does Bilstein Flushes for $100, but I'm skeptical and have heard mixed reviews.

Reply to
camry-keeper

Thanks, I'll have to wait and see what's there.

Reply to
camry-keeper

Varnish is a far cry from sludge. The worst thing it can do, is make removal of close fitting, internal engine- components which require slipping past the varnish during removal (in pushrod motors this applies to the cam-followers or tappets during removal from their bores).

Personally I wouldn't be alarmed by varnish buildup. Its very common,

Jason

Reply to
Jason James