valve cover gasket "seal packing"

To replace the valve cover gasket on a '95 V6, the manual specifies "seal packing" -- part no.

08826-00080, 00258-00103, or "equivalent". The dealer wants $16.50 for the stuff, which I didn't use for the front valve cover gasket years ago. For the rear gasket, I'm more risk averse, as a lot more labor is involved.

How helpful is seal packing in maintaining a tight seal? What would be a generic equivalent?

Thanks, Herb

Reply to
Herbert.Kocks

It's basically RTV....use Permatex's "Right Stuff"

timbirr

To facilitate machining Toyota cut semi-circular openings to machine the cam journals, and afterwards they "glue" the cutouts back using RTV. You use RTV because otherwise oil will leak through the joint between the cylinder head and the cutout plug.

Just be careful not let any of the old RTV beads fall into the cylinder head when you remove them. You should remove the old beads or they look like they'll fall off by themselves in no time.

I like and will first recommend Permatex products. The Permatex "Sensor Safe Blue" is a cost effective way to seal many things. I also use the water pump RTV (leftovers) and Permatex Copper premium RTV (again, when I have leftovers). Pick some up at your local AutoZone, competitively priced there.

I also get Fel-Pro valve cover set (including spark plug tube seals) from rockauto.com. Good prices even with shipping.

Yeah, dealer prices for some of these generic stuff are a joke.

johngdole

The valve cover bolts have stops. The old washers may not put enough pressure on the gasket and can cause leaks. You can buy new bolt/ washer packs at the dealer, or a home-garage fix is to put an extra washer on there. Maybe 0.5mm thick.

Reply to
johngdole

Now why does Toyota have to call RTV "seal packing" and engine sludge "oil gel"???

Reply to
johngdole

The number of Permatex RTV products at the auto parts store gave me a buzz. And Permatex is advising me to use a "sealer" (Ultra Gray) rather than a "maker" on my neoprene/rubber valve cover gasket. When so many authorities (Haynes, Permatex, this group, Toyota) disagree, perhaps it doesn't really matter?

-Herb

Reply to
Herbert.Kocks

One thing is for sure: use only a light dab to cover the plug seam areas. And the rubber gaskets are otherwise applied "dry". I'm more concerned with the washer pack on each bolt losing their clamping force over the years.

I'd trust what Permatex advises you. The Ultra Gray (link below) that I could reference is a premium rtv "maker". It's for high torque and high vibration applications. The Ultra Copper I have leftover adds high temp above that.

The blue I mentioned is the standard line. But if you note the application blue/gray/copper they are pretty similar other than some performance parameters.

Like I said. My valve cover cam plugs were sealed with their water pump rtv because I had some leftover. I also have some Ultra Copper leftover waiting in line. Now water pump rtv is NOT a recommended application by Permatex for cam plugs, but it was my call. A little dab sealed quite well I might add, but I'm sure blue/gray/copper will work better as the water pump rtv was designed for "Highest water- glycol resistance available in an RTV silicone."

Blue:

Applications: Valve covers, oil pans, timing covers, waterpumps, thermostat housings, transmission pans Ultra Gray:
Applications: Valve covers, oil pans, intake manifold endseals, timing covers, water pumps, thermostat housings Ultra Copper: "The most advanced, high temp RTV silicone gasket available."
Water pump rtv: "Highest water-glycol resistance available in an RTV silicone."

johngdole

Also check:

for their online training videos. Check the gasketing video.

Reply to
johngdole

BTW, the "Permatex=AE Ultra Rubber Gasket Sealant & Dressing" is a **non- hardening**, soft-setting formula makes gasket repositioning quick and easy. I personally am not sure this is the right application for the cam plugs.

If you were to ask them about what the use for cam plugs instead of valve cover gaskets, I'm sure they'll say it's the Ultra Gray or Copper.

Reply to
johngdole