Water Pump

I have 97 Camry 56000 miles. Dealer said I should change water pump when I change the timing belt. I have had Toyotas for 20 years and dealers have never suggested that. Water pumps can last for 10 years or more. I refused and only did the belt. was I wrong??? I never heard of this, is it just trying to get extra cash for extra work??? Why not fix the pump when and IF it goes.any help appreciated V

Reply to
Clubman53

HA he sensed your paranoia at changing the belt at a mere 56k. Know older models recommended 60k change under severe conditions but thought newer ones were 75-80k? Once belt is off its easy to change the pump - another 20-30 minutes. If pump seizes up - belt is gone! (Pump is driven by same timing belt). If pump goes bad - you go thru same motions as changing the belt again. If pump doesnt squeak, turns freely and no signs of leaking - think you're safe not changing it this belt change. I live more dangerously - would have waited til 75k for belt (if I had long trip planned or tad longer if just local miles) then inspected pump as above before buttoning it up.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Hi,

For me it happend in other way round. Last month my 99 toyota camry's pump got seized and my car stalled in the middle of the road. The mileage was around 48,0000. Luckily my car was under 5 yr engine/transmission warranty so the dealer replaced it for free. But he adiviced me to change the timing belt also since he disaseembled the engine to change the water pump for a nominal charge. So I did the same.

So there is a chance for the water pump to seize and replacement cost is more.

Reply to
Google User

Its a good idea its all apart. But i would wait its only 56000, unless you drive hard

Reply to
mark Ransley

take wolfgangs advice...

98 4cyl. auto. changed my timing belt at dealer recommended 60k. he didn't change the water pump. at 80k the water pump went and took the timing belt with, so i had to do the whole damn thing again at $600. shitty part is that i'm sure my original timing belt would have made it to 80k and saved me the original 60k service cost.

Reply to
domstation

'98 4 cylinder

Changed timing belt at 110,000. It had no visible signs of wear. Orignal water pump is in. The car now has 143,000 miles on it.

Reply to
Tom C

'92 4 cylinder. 176000miles. Original waterpump. Timing belt changed at 60000 en 120000. Will change waterpump with timing belt at 180000.

Luc K

Reply to
Luc Kumps

Changed my pump at 140,000 was hearing a noise figured time to change it anyway, later discovered noise was a loose air filter box...

Reply to
ROBMURR