Weird signalling problem with '99 Camry?

Hi,

I just ran into a weird problem. My '99 XLE started doing this on Saturday. If I signal left, the clicking sound is very fast and the signal lights (front and back) both are pulsing away 2-3 times as fast as normal. The right signal works as normal, and when I apply the emergency 4 way flashers all four signal lights (front and back) work as normal.

Does the Camry have 3 flashers (L, R, 4Way)? If not how does the 4way flash the left bulbs normally, but the left turn signal pulses 2-3x the speed?

So... all bulbs are working, where should I look to start?

Reply to
Father Guido

My manual only covers the series II Camry ('95-'97?). This model uses a single turn-signal unit for both sides.

It maybe this unit is a 'hotwire' type relay or it maybe solid-state. The fact that one side is faster than the other, though, tends to indicate its a conventional hotwire type switching relay which then makes it load sensitive to indicator switching speed like all such two-wire units are notorious for doing.

Perhaps your car has an indicator bulb which is not seated well in its socket, or it has lost a good earth contact in its socket?

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Make sure that all lights are working. The symptom you describe sounds like a bulb is out. Also, try reseating the bulbs on the side that causes a fast flasher.

Reply to
dboatrig

This is a common problem....here is a google search result that solved the problem:

"I solved the problem by removing the turn signal bulb (which also serves as the parking light) on the front. Then I cleaned the socket, using De-Oxit. You could probably use any cleaner made for cleaning and preserving electrical connections. I also wiped the base of the bulb with this as well. I re-installed it, and it has worked fine ever since."

Reply to
Curtis Newton

And while you're in the socket, bend the 2 contacts UP a little to press harder against the bulb.

mb

---------

Curtis Newt>

Reply to
MB
·Hi, · ·I just ran into a weird problem. My '99 XLE started doing this on ·Saturday. If I signal left, the clicking sound is very fast and the ·signal lights (front and back) both are pulsing away 2-3 times as fast ·as normal. The right signal works as normal, and when I apply the ·emergency 4 way flashers all four signal lights (front and back) work ·as normal. · ·Does the Camry have 3 flashers (L, R, 4Way)? If not how does the 4way ·flash the left bulbs normally, but the left turn signal pulses 2-3x ·the speed? · ·So... all bulbs are working, where should I look to start?

Thanks for your reply's guys -- I'll take out the bulbs and clean the connections and see if it helps.

Thanks again!

Norm

Reply to
Father Guido

I cleaned the contacts on the bulb, and bent the contacts up too. Now it works just like new again.

Thanks everyone!!!

·And while you're in the socket, bend the 2 contacts UP a little to press ·harder against the bulb. · ·mb ·--------- · ·Curtis Newton wrote: ·> ·> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 08:13:32 GMT, Father Guido wrote: ·> ·> >Hi, ·> > ·> >I just ran into a weird problem. My '99 XLE started doing this on ·> >Saturday. If I signal left, the clicking sound is very fast and the ·> >signal lights (front and back) both are pulsing away 2-3 times as fast ·> >as normal. The right signal works as normal, and when I apply the ·> >emergency 4 way flashers all four signal lights (front and back) work ·> >as normal. ·> > ·> >Does the Camry have 3 flashers (L, R, 4Way)? If not how does the 4way ·> >flash the left bulbs normally, but the left turn signal pulses 2-3x ·> >the speed? ·> > ·> >So... all bulbs are working, where should I look to start? ·> ·> This is a common problem....here is a google search result that solved ·> the problem: ·> ·> "I solved the problem by removing the turn signal bulb (which also ·> serves as the parking light) on the front. Then I cleaned the socket, ·> using De-Oxit. You could probably use any cleaner made for cleaning ·> and preserving electrical connections. I also wiped the base of the ·> bulb with this as well. I re-installed it, and it has worked fine ·> ever since."
Reply to
Father Guido