Welding engine lug broken by Toyota under warranty

Hi All, My 2004 Camry was in for service for a leaking transmission seal under the factory warranty. Apparantly to fix this the engine and transmission needed to be removed & separated. When reassembling the two, a lug was broken from the engine (where the transmission bolts onto the engine - a lug on the block as far as I have been told). The Toyota dealer has told me they intend to weld this lug back on as a permanant repair! When I asked if they were intending to replace the part, I was told "we will just weld it and see how it goes". Spoke to the service manager, who still intends to weld it up. I have spoken to several mechanics, who all expressed surprised at this. I spoke to Toyota customer service who also expressed an amount of surprised when told this was a vehicle still under warranty! Is this a regular practice for Toyota? Welding up parts broken during service? It is my feeling that they broke the part, its up to them to REPLACE it, not perform some weld job that may or may not work. Looking forward to any opinions regarding what I should do and how to handle this? Cheers JK

Reply to
newark.style

You seem to want a new engine for the sake of one fastener that apparently can be welded back on, perfectly restoring its original function. Grow up.

Reply to
Nobody Important

I would insist that the weld be done by a very experienced certified welder. Anyone can put on a pair of welding gloves and a helmet and claim to be a welder. If they do weld the engine, what guarantee is the dealer willing to provide? Do not let him give you a 50/50 guarantee. A 50/50 guarantee means if it breaks you get to keep both pieces. LOL

Reply to
Clay

As soon as the job was done, I would trade the car in at a different dealer on a new car. I would call customer service once again at Toyota and tell them they just lost a customer because of this and I would now be buying a Honda!

Reply to
Bika-Salt-E

Reply to
BigJim

It seems to me that the dealer wants to take the cheap way out. It just seems to me that under manufacturer warranty, if Toyota broke it, Toyota should be replacing it. I particularly didn't like their "see how it goes" attitude. My children ride in this car, so I don't want to "see how it goes". As big jim said in another reply, they were stupid enough to break the lug, and now they trust me to let them weld it?? Far cry from good service I would say.

Reply to
newark.style

I think you'll find that the warranty says they'll *fix* it, not replace it.

If you don't think welds are reliable, you'd best leave that car in the garage. The whole body is welded together, and not by people either.

Reply to
Nobody Important

I didn't say welds were not reliable, I said that I hardly trust their welding, if they can't bolt the thing together without breaking it in the first place.

Reply to
newark.style

Only gangsters and punks buy Hondas.

Reply to
sharx35

A few years back I had a 4 Runner. Had it in for a head gasket replace (recall) and they smashed my fan shroud and just glued it back together. They didn't even tell me about it until I found it myself a few months later(it broke again) and I made them replace it.

Reply to
Murcatroid

Yeah, we hear about Toyota techs messing things up all the time. Nothin' new. that's too bad.

I think the dealer doesn't want to eat the cost because Toyota gives them a fixed amount of money for each warranty repair, so they are taking the cheap way out.

Reply to
johngdole

Call the state attorney general office consumer affairs and ask them for some advise. They will know the consumer laws for the state. Laws and consumer rights vary from state to state.

Reply to
Clay

You seem to be willing to accept poor service. Wise up.

Reply to
Alfred Einstein

Exactly. The State Attorney can help with LOTS of things. IAnd he can refer you to other agencies when the situation warrants.

Use him.

Reply to
Alfred Einstein