93 Camry sounds like metal roller skates

93 Camry XLE 170K miles

I am the original owner and have been concerned about the valve clearances for some time. I have taken the car to my local Toyo dealer twice and asked to have the clearances checked. I was told that they are, "good for life and adjustment is not needed". I understand. He would rather change oil on a Lexus than adjust shims on a 93 Camry and many people do not keep cars as long as I do. The valve guides are worn as evidenced by smoke on startup when the car has been sitting idle for a while and after the car warms up, I get metal roller skate sounds from inside the valve covers. The body and interior are in exellent condition. The tranny, which came apart at 80K is warranted for life from AAMCO. I am considering replacing remanned heads vs an entire remanned engine. Replacing anything on this car sucks. Which would suck the least? I am also concerned that if I opt to replace the heads and decide to replace cam parts that I will have to buy them from Toyo and will approach the cost of the remanned engine. Your thought are appreciated.

Thanks!

Barry

Reply to
Barry Minchey

I would try removing the valve cover - front is easiest if you have two - and see what may be scraping. Could be something simple. Regardless, if scraping, you should see scrape marks. This is quite unusual. Typically valve adjustment is not required, although the manual does recommend checking clearances. This is fairly easy to do with thickness gauges and the service manual. I have zero confidence in the transmission shop you mentioned based on past expereince, but it's possible you found someone qualified.

Reply to
Daniel