What doee one call this?

What do you call the material that all those signs strapped to tellephone poles and on wires stuck in the ground are made of? By
people who have no respect for public property. They start off as white, two layers with parallel "ribs" of the same material between the two outer layers every eighth of an inch. Do you know what I mean?

Coroplast. --scott

Generically, it's called "corrugated plastic", and is usually made of polypropylene.
It comes in sizes that refer to the overall thickness, expressed in Metric. The most common size is 4mm.
"Coroplast" is one just brand. More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrugated_plastic
--
Tegger

Yes, all the ones I have are the same thickness.

Wow. You're both right. Thanks I'm glad I asked. I'd never heard the word or the phrase before.
I go through spurts where I take down scores of those signs in my n'hood in an hour or two. Sometimes several days in a month. Baltimore County law even explicitly gives everyone the right to do that when they're on public land or telephone poles, but I did it even before the law was passed. (Since I started, someone else in this n'hood is doing it too. I haven't seen him but I've seen signs disappear.) You can see the difference too, there are far fewer even weeks after one of us has been around. I leave the ones for things that are very near to where the sign is, or events about to happen, and I leave political signs, and probably summer baseball camp and other things I approve of, and a couple other things
What I didn't expect is that those sheets have so many uses. So I throw away a lot, but keep about 20 pieces of various sizes, and a few of the wire things too. Also the long plastic ties, with the indentations in one end and the locking square on the other end, I save some of them. They have fewer uses, but when I needed to snake a wire from the left end of the winshield, at the top, to the right end, for power to the sunvisor vanity light, it was perfect, Or snaking from the car door to the inisde of the car.
"micky" wrote:

You mean like sliding a big one (old political signs are good) under your car to do work? Lets you slide in and out easier, and they're reusable and cleanable if you spill oil or something on them.

Any homeless folks around there needing ground sheets or rain-proof walls/roofs for their semi-permanent "residences"?
You could Google "coroplast boat" too, if you like.
On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 11:54:09 -0700, "Sanity Clause"

Absolutely. Especially when your car is parked on blacktop with plenty of loose stones. Even kneeling on that stuff is hard when you're as fat as I am.

And when spray painting on the lawn I used to use newspapers to avoid painting the grass, but the slightest wind would blow the newspapers around.

Not around here. There are some people at the market on food stamps, but no one is homeless.

I'll do that.

On 10/19/2014 2:54 PM, Sanity Clause wrote:

I've got some thing like that in my truck, in case I need to sit on the ground. One time I was helping some friends repair a car, and the snow was blowing, and we were cold. I was in a garage at a house, but it was still cold. Wished for some thing to put under me.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I have two of the HF vinyl covered foam "mechanics pads". They are one of the best items I've ever bought from any tool outfit.
http://www.harborfreight.com/folding-mechanics-pad-93896.html
I have one with a headrest and an earlier one without. Both are REAL handy items.
--
Steve W.

On 10/19/2014 6:40 PM, Steve W. wrote:

Closest to that in my kit is a carpet sample for five bucks (coffee money) from a carpet place. That does look useful, though. Thanks for the link.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Stormin Mormon wrote:

It is one of those "Why wasn't this on a tool truck years ago" items. Easy to wipe clean, doesn't absorb anything that I've found yet. I've used it on gravel, concrete, out in Vince's yard and more and no damage at all.
--
Steve W.

Two more good uses for corrugated plastic:
2) When digging a hole, put the dirt on the plastic so it doesn't make a mess. Later, you can pick up the plastic from the sides and carry all the dirt at one time.
2) As a pattern for making a replacement rear window for my convertible.
I was going to just make a paper pattern and transfer the pattern to the Lexan, but halfway through I realized the pattern has to be verified**, so I used duck tape to tape two of my biggest pieces of coroplast togeher side by side, and transferred the paper pattern to the coroplast, which was stiff enough to insert where the window goes. I made it bigger than needed on purpose, but it's still been a challenge trimming it down. All the sides are curved to some extent, and the upper corners even more so.
Also, the "glass", the plastic, has to be small enough top to bottom to fit in the well behind the back seat. I couldn't check that properly with a paper pattern.
And it should only be as wide as the glass that broke was. Again, paper wouldn't do a good job.
I'm still trimming the coroplast and I havent' started cutting the Lexan. I hope it fits.
**Because onc