Changing spark plugs

!992 Lincoln Town Car with 4.6L single overhead cam and 117,000 miles. With the OEM plugs still in the engine, I think it's time for new ones. I've read this group for months and don't recall this subject ever being discussed in detail. Are there any things I need to watch for or are there any tricks to use when changing plugs? I assume this is done on a cld engine.

Reply to
Peter W Crisler

Tom

The plugs are down in little "cylinders" of their own.

After 117k, take care with crud trapped in the "cyls". Shine a light, see how bad. Usually just blow crud out with compressed air. Before removing plugs.

Might wanna find about 1' of rubber hose that'll fit snugly over top of plugs. Makes it easier to unthread/thread plugs.

Use dielectric grease on tips of plugs and/or connectors of plug wires.

Unless I'm mistaken, old plug wires cause more problems than old plugs. Ever change the wires?

Cheers, Puddin'

"Well, there's two trains runnin'. Ain't neither one goin' my way. One run at midnight, the other run just before day." - from "Still A Fool", Muddy Waters, maybe 1949

Reply to
Puddin' Man

I stongly suggest replacing the plug wires along with the plugs. Purchase the Ford factory wire set from a dealer or Internet source. They have gone thru about 6 or 7 design changes due to plug boot failures and other stuff.The under hood electronics in my 4.6 1995 T- Bird would not tolerate the EMI / RFI thrown off by after market plug wires. The plug wires have a rubber seal on the plug end that proper alignment to the head for a tight seal. Wire replacement requires removal of the alternator.

As stated before, make sure you blow any crud off the top of the head before removing plug wires and then blow out the plug chambers before removing the plugs. Use silicon grease around the inner plug boot and the coil boot. Put a drop of oil on the new plug threads. I don't think Ford used platinum tipped plugs in 4.6's prior to 1996. You might want to replace the copper tip plugs with platinum. Steve

Reply to
Steven Stone

You should have a can of brake cleaner and an air compressor. When you pull the boots off the plugs spray some of teh brake cleaner down in the well and then use the air to blow it and all the dirt out before you take the plugs out. Wear eye protection.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Puddin' Man wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Thanks for the cleaning tips and yes, I have changed the wires.

Reply to
Peter W Crisler

Good.

Forgot to mention: twist the wire boot HARD before removing from plug. Breaks the seal, could prevent busted knuckles, etc.

"Well, there's two trains runnin'. Ain't neither one goin' my way. One run at midnight, the other run just before day." - from "Still A Fool", Muddy Waters, maybe 1949

Reply to
Puddin' Man

I've replaced the OEM wires with Ford's latest version, so I' covered.

Will do.

Reply to
Peter W Crisler

Ashton Crusher wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Thanks for the tip about the brake cleaner.

Reply to
Peter W Crisler

"Tom" wrote in news:Tl5Vi.107$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.lga:

Never would have thought of that. Thanks

Reply to
Peter W Crisler