Wiring differences between 00 and 01?

Greets.

I had the fun of installing a trunk relay in my 01 Camry LE today. Not

a lot of room in there, and needs a nice strong pull. Ended up using the emergency latch.. Evenso was a bitch until I stretched the spring a

bit. Works like a charm now.

I bought a remote starter for it, and that's my next project. They have a prefab wiring harness, but they only list Camry's up to 2000. It was suggested they do that because Toyota started using transponders

in 2001 on the Camrys... My Camry does not have a transponder.

Did Toyota make a change to the wiring harness (namely the connectors under the steering column) between 2000-2001?

If not, it'd save me a lot of time using the harness rather than splicing all the wires...

Thanks!

Joseph

Reply to
joseph

Damn...

I can't think of a more on topic posting than this, yet I get not a single response.

After exhausting my luck with the dealers, who would give no info, I went out and bought a shop manual... On the outside chance anyone else runs into this situation....The harnesses are the same.

Reply to
Ice

Although I understand your angst, I also understand why there were no responses. Most of the guys on the group are owners of no more than one Camry. Therefore, no one had an answer. It would seem as though the manual you have purchased is an aftermarket book, and will likely not be as complete as the Toyota books would be. They may be close enough that there is no appreciable difference anyway.

In my automotive work ( all electrical stuff - Ford/Lincoln/Mercury) I know a lot more than the factory manuals know about later model cars I service. and volumes more on older ones when it comes to my field of expertise.

Good to hear you have found what you needed though. And thanks for sharing your findings. I own a 2000 camry right now. It will likely help me to know there is little or no difference.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizzical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB

Scott,

Very true. I hadn't thought that maybe the book wasn't thorough. Nowhere does it say "they are the same" but it does list the part numbers as the same.

I went ahead and bought the harness adapter.. If it ends up being partially different, that's ok.. I'll save splicing into at least a few wires. Not that I'm concerned about doing it.. I just am an electron flow purist.. I don't even like using test prods...

Whatever my findings... I'll post it back here. If it ends up working perfectly, it could save someone with our year a lot of time and effort...

Joseph

Reply to
Ice

In case anyone is installing a Bulldog alarm in a 2001 Camry, the TOY-1 harness DOES work perfectly in the 2001. The website and literature do not list this year.

HOWEVER.....

I believe it will only work if your Camry does NOT have a transponder. You'll know if you have one. They require the $4 million dollar keys ;-)

If you decide to put a trunk opener in it, drop me an email. It took me 4 hours to find the best way to do it. I can save you a l;ot of time. It's not that hard once you know where to put it and how to hook it up.

So now my wife has 1 remote that manages the keyless entry, remote start, and trunk opener.

I'm considering adding an alarm and using an electronic switch to arm and disarm it with the door locks. Otherwise she'd need to carry an extra remote.

Joseph

Reply to
Ice

Thanks Joseph, for the followup. I'm glad to hear you had success!