'01 Tundra - Premium Gas???

2001 Tundra SR5 V-8

I read that you should use premium gas, and I've never used anything but the std. grade. Never had any knocking/pinging.

Is this really required?

G-Man

Reply to
G-Man

You're doing the right thing. Find the lowest grade that doesn't cause pinging.

Bearman

Reply to
bearman

Owners manual states to use 87 octane and that anything higher is a waste of money since this engine is designed to run on 87.(paraphrased)

Reply to
Free Rider

Not unless you have the supercharger. If you experience knocking, then midgrade wouldn't be a bad idea.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

I apologize for being perhaps dumb, but will a person know what they are hearing is a wrongful Ping/Knock sound, is it a an obviously "bad" sound?

Larry

Reply to
Larry Starr

Ping sounds like BBs in a can.

Reply to
Skip

I have a 2K1 Tundra with V8 and haven't notied any pings on 87 octane. I prefer to use 93 octane because the truck just runs better (less sluggish). I've also done a few unscientific mileage checks and it seems like I get better gas mileage with higher octane gas. Of course there's so many variables when considering gas mileage that it's hard to be sure. But that's my justification for using high octane gas.

RR

Reply to
R3

It's quite a pronounced sound. Sounds like the engine is rattling.

G-Man

Reply to
G-Man