1985 SR5 22RE Pickup

Hi;

I just passed California's "Test Only" Smog test with lots of margin.

The following week I broke a valve spring. Three years ago I had a short block done, nothing to the valves as far as I know. The engine has been running really well, sounds and feels new, no oil usage.

My question is, given the history, is it "safe" to replace the bad spring only? What is the right thing to have done and still minimize the repair cost. All I was willing to do was pull the valve cover off to verify I the problem.

Thanks, Richard

Reply to
rdhrdh

Sure, just replace the spring.

rdhrdh wrote:

You can replace the valve spring with out removing the cylinder head --- so just replace the valve spring and have the valves all adjusted. If another one is way out of adjustment you might want the examine it more closely.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Wolfgang;

Thanks for the tip Wolfgang. I didn't see how to replace a spring with pulling the head. I have the factory manual, and, as I said, I pulled the valve cover to check. I suppose you must mean to loosen the head bolts which also clamp the rocker arm assembly to the top of the head. Then I'd probably need a clamp to compress the new spring. I may not be the right guy to do this, despite it probably being a simple job to a good mechanic.

If I take it to a Toyota dealer, they'd do a good job, but find some reason to raise the cost to $1k. If I locate a likely AAA rated mechanic, if you are right, and the mechanic is honest, it might be the safest/lead expensive way to do it, right?

Thanks, Richard

Reply to
rdhrdh

I've seen it done two ways - One is compressed air thru the spark plug to hold the valves shut -- the other it to cram rope thru the sparkplug and bring the piston up to force the rope against the valves holding then shut. A local machine shop might give you names of good local mechanics who could do the job.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Wolfgang;

Thanks, hadn't thought of that aspect of the problem, but I do get it. Could do that, carefully.

How about the top side. Can I remove the cylinder head bolts (in 2-3 passes in the correct order, as the manual says) which also hold down the rocker arm assembly, and lift it straight off without disturbing the cam timing? It seems like that is possible. Probably could have seen that when I had the valve cover off, but I did put it all back together). One would only have to remove the cam sprocket if one were going to actually pull the head, as opposed to simply lifting up the rocker arm assembly. Am I getting this right?

If so, maybe I'll try this myself, as I've got the time. It is courage I lack, knowing that it is very easy to add significant cost to repairs of this type.

Thanks for your time; Richard

Reply to
rdhrdh

safest/lead

Reply to
scott and barb

Wolfgang;

My truck is purring like a kitten. Mileage is as good as its ever been.

Thanks for the info. It was helpful in convincing a "AAA" rated shop to "just replace the spring". They didn't want to do it. I was persistant, showing him the 1 month old Smog results etc.

Well, they did end up just replacing the spring. They used the compressed error trick, although they liked the idea of the rope trick.

If I'd of taken the truck to the Toyota dealer, I'd of been charged a minimum of 2400 bucks. So I saved $2100 assuming no other damage, which appears to be a pretty safe bet at this point. Couple of years will tell.

Thanks again, Richard

Reply to
rdhrdh