1985 Toyota Van - Where are the spark plugs?

I feel a bit foolish but I can't locate the 4 spark plugs in my 1985 Toyota Van. I didn't see anything that looked like plug wires either. I was looking from the top with the driver's seat up. I can't get under the van to check. Any ideas of where the spark plugs are?

TIA

Skip

Reply to
skipfromla

not exactly sure about the access location for your van, by my 92 Previa has an access panel under the front passenger seat. I had to remove the seat and fold back the carpet to get to it. at least the carpet was designed with Velcro tabs in that location, which made things slightly easier. after removing the access cover, the valve cover/spark plugs/wires/distributor cap, were easy to get to.

I'd think things would be similar for your 85 van since both are mid-engine vehicles.

Reply to
: P

Never owned a Toyota Van, but...

Is there a distributor that you can locate? If so, follow the wires.

Reply to
jp2express

It you need to ask ...

The spark plugs are in the same old place, on top of the motor. They could be hidden under a cover, but they are exactly where you would expect them to be.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks but I've already removed the seat and still can't find them.

Reply to
skipfromla

Thanks, but I can't find either, or I see them and don't recogize them. Strange because I've been working on my own cars since 1960. I'll keep looking and, if I have to, I'll get a (ghasp!) Chilton's. I'd rather just find the sparkplugs.

Skip

Reply to
skipfromla

Yeah. Skip, they could be beneath the valve cover or something hokey like that.

Try calling the local Toyota dealership's Service Department. Ask them. At least, they should have a factory service manual that will tell them where they are located.

Reply to
jp2express

I'll take another look.

Reply to
skipfromla

I found them. They were underneath the plug wires with a type of boot I've never seen before and didn't recognize.

Skip

Reply to
skipfromla