1990 Toyota Truck Won't Start Continued...kind of long

I posted recently that my truck would not turnover and all that I got was a "clicking" type noise when I turned the key. Well, after everyone's responses, I replaced the starter with BRAND NEW solenoid contacts and plunger. I still get the clicking :-/. My friend and I were stumped. The engine has not seized up and locked. We checked by turning the crank. BTW my friend who put the tarter back together is a mechanic, so I know its right. He doesn't think its the battery cables, but is it? If not why do I still get the damn clicking noise :( sigh what do yall think? thx again

-Craig

Reply to
SolaraGuy

"clicking" type noise when I turned the key. Well, after everyone's responses, I replaced the starter with BRAND NEW solenoid contacts and plunger. I still get the clicking :-/. My friend and I were stumped. The engine has not seized up and locked. We checked by turning the crank. BTW my friend who put the tarter back together is a mechanic, so I know its right. He doesn't think its the battery cables, but is it? If not why do I still get the damn clicking noise :( sigh what do yall think? thx again

Check the voltage at the starter solenoid when it clicks. If the voltage is low (like way less than the battery voltage), check upstream from the starter. I recently installed a Painless Wiring starter relay kit on my '85 and I get not more intermittent starter clicking (I also have good contacts in the solenoid). If the solenoid voltage is good, look at the power cables coming to the starter, check the voltage there. Someplace you likely have a bad connection, corroded wire (can be corroded up inside the insulation), or a worn out switch or relay:

Roger Brown

Have you tried to jump start the vehicle? Or push start it? The battery may be showing good voltage but may not have enough amps to crank the engine. Also if your ground is bad from your battery you could run into problems.

Tony

[...]

1992 Toyota Xcab

Its a brand new battery though, however the battery cables are quite old? My friend doesn't seem to think those are it...

Reply to
SolaraGuy

My friend doesn't seem to think those are it...

Reply to
Offen Rong

Is your truck a manual? If so have you tried popping the clutch? Also have you checked you distributor cap and points and rotor, are all your wires tight on the plugs and cap?

Reply to
1992 Toyota Xcab

thx for all the responses yall. The problem was that I put brand new terminals on the battery and I did not scraped the red and black paint off. So no contact was being made. O well. Regardless, the solenoid contacts needed changing. So she does run now. sigh, onto fixing a/c and putting on some new shocks :)

Reply to
SolaraGuy