'91 Justy Won't start

i have a 91 justy that when you try to turn the key nothing happens. when i go and cross the starter it starts. if you sit there and just keep turning the key for about 30 minutes then once in about 150 turns the car will start. but once you shut it off it won't start unless you sit there and turn the key for another 150 turns. does any one know where the starter relay is located, or is that even the problem. i really don't want to buy a chilton manual but will if i have to.

thanks chad

Reply to
drmojo418
0) The fact that it starts when you jump the starter is a sign there is no problem with the starter or starter's solenoid. 1) Listen for a clicking noise when you turn the key. 2) If you hear one coming from under the dash then the starter relay is receiving current but not making contact. 3) If no click, then it's either the ignition switch that is bad or more likely, if you have a manual, the clutch pedal starter defeat switch. 4) To check that last possibility, turn the key to «start» and hold it there but pump the clutch pedal «150 times...». 5) If it suddendly starts, you've found the culprit, it's just a case of replacing the switch (sits on top of the clutch pedal stem) or, like I did on my Legacy, soldering the two wires that go to the swith together to bypass the switch. 6) I have no experience with bad igniti> i have a 91 justy that when you try to turn the key nothing happens. when i
Reply to
Gilles Gour

1) Sorry for top posting on my previous invoice. 2) About pumping the clutch pedal, the switch makes contacts at the very bottom of pedal travel, so push the pedal to the floor and let it rise a couple of inches each time you pump. No need to let it come up competely.
Reply to
Gilles Gour

it is an automatic

Reply to
drmojo418

i got it to start. i just went down to the local auto parts store and picked up a push button for the starter and by passed all the starter relays.

thanks for all the help.

Reply to
drmojo418

Same as he said, just substitute "neutral safety switch", and move selector into park or neutral.

Steve

Reply to
CompUser