Engine won't start

When I attempt to start my '94 4Runner, the engine makes a loud ticking noise, and does not start. The battery seems to be fine, and all electronic accessories work. I assume that this is the starter, but it might be the alternator. I know only enough about cars to be dangerous, so I tend to leave these kind of problems to the professionals. However, I would like an idea of what the hell is going on. I assume that this is a pretty dumb question, but I wanted to check what other people thought this problem might be. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Dave

Some troubleshooting tops on my page:

I doubt its the alternator, since it is not running when you try to start the engine. Sounds like it could be dirty connections at the battery/starter cables or bad contacts inside the starter solenoid. All are easy to fix.

Reply to
Roger Brown