1991 V6 clutch feel

I went to look at a 1991 Pickup V6 4x4 Xtracab yesterday. It's in good shape, the price is right, and it runs like a dream. The only problem
is the clutch feels a bit wonkey - the best way to describe it is almost no resistance through the top of the stroke, and then it feels as if there's a tennis ball wedged under the pedal at the bottom. It feels exactly the same as my Civic felt when one of the fingers broke off the clutch disc. The seller obviously says the clutch has always felt that way. The truck drove fine, no chattering or shuddering. I didn't get a chance to take it on pavement so I couldn't tell if the clutch was slipping.
Does this sound like the clutch is about to go or is this a normal feel for a Toyota clutch? This is the first 5-speed V6 I've ever driven.
Thanks a lot,
Isaac
isaac wrote:

If anyone cares I went and drove a 94 today and it felt exactly the same. Either two bad trucks or one normal feel ;)
Thanks,
Isaac

Sounds like you're safe or picking some bad test drives. (g)
I have a 92 V6 4x4 with the 5 speed. I am on my third clutch (at 230k miles). That is not the typical feel it should feel similar through most of the stroke with a slight increase in pressure at the end. My guess is that someone did a poor job of installing a new clutch. They either didn't adjust it propperly or broke something.
Well if they broke something the clutch would not work at all. Does the clutch slip at all? It is possible it is your driving style or the type of driving you do, some peole just go through clutches faster than others. You should have steady pressure throughout the throw of the clutch pedal.
Finally the most logical option is to bleed your clutch system, like your breaks, you could have air in the line.
--
Tony
95 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
Tony wrote:

Not necessarily. Reread the initial post - he said he broke a clutch finger on his civic and it continued working. There are plenty of things that you can break (bend or tweak) on a clutch that will not prevent a clutch from working.
Tony's suggestion to bleed the fluid lines is a good one. It is best to check the easiest solutionsfirst because they are often the right ones.
Also ensure that your clutch fluid reservoir is filled up. You can get wierd sensations if the fluid gets really low because the floating rubber biscuit (in the reservoir) will seal the opening in the bottom of the reservoir if the fuild gets real low.
my 1992 V6 5 speed has 190K miles and I just put in a new clutch for the first time. The old one was still working fine.

Site Timeline