1992 4runner Preventive Maintenance

My son has a 1992 4runner V6, automatic with 156k on the odometer. He got it with 142 and has replaced the timing belt, water pump and power steering pump.

He is going to college 1600 miles away. Beyond checking the brakes, hoses, and other belts, is there any preventive maintenance that should be done? For example, changing the transmission fluid?

Reply to
Ron

what kind of transmision does it have? if its an automatic then have it checked if not flushed, if its manual have it checked and changed if needed. dont forget the differentials, transfre case and last but not least the almighty tune up ( plugs, wires, cap, rotor, feul and air filter )

Reply to
mudmonkey

The V6 has head gasket problems. If yours was not replaced yet, I would consider replacing it. Toyota had a replacement campaign a while ago since they knew there was an issue. I know the head gasket will not be cheap, but since your son has a long ride, it may be worth it. Check with your local Toy. dealer, if yours wasn't replaced yet, you may be able to get a free one. Good luck.

Reply to
rocky

If you don't know what was previously done for maintenance, also consider the cooling system including coolant, hoses, belts and thermostat. I'd also bleed the brake system. Again, if you don't know what was done previously, it's time to start changing all the fluids.

Paul.

Reply to
Paul.

Be certain that the transmission is NOT overfilled in the slightest. My 1993 4Runner had overheating problems and it largely boiled down (no pun intended) to too much t-fluid. A known problem with these tranny's. On long drives, in any temp, the excess t-fluid will aspirate with air which will prevent an otherwise steady flow of t- fluid... which causes heat, which causes more aspiration, which causes more heat... then your tran temp light comes one... and if you do not get off the gas asap and let the engine idle to circulate cooled down t-fluid you just cooked certain tranny part and it is only a matter of time until you write a check to a tranny shop for $3K. Ask me how I know this. FYI... info via Dealer and Toy tran shop.

Now I run my 4Runner at the mid-level mark on the dip stick... not at or over the max mark. Have not had a single problem since.

And... set tire pressure higher rather than lower. Less heat, better ware, better MPG.

Last.. have you ever had the front wheel bearings repacked/serviced. They are not like the rear sealed bearings that seem to last forever.

Good luck, Dave-in-Denver

Reply to
Dave in Denver