2004 4Runner: Resetting "Maintenance Required" Light

I have a new 2004 4Runner. The owners manual nor the service manual that came with it has instructions on how to turn off this Maintenance Required light. No, I don't have the Toyota repair manual nor do I have a Clymer's. I've tried to purchase both but the dealer doesn't have the Toyota repair manual and my local auto parts store does not have a Clymer's for my vintange 4Runner. I say this just in case someone suggests that I RTFM.

Can someone simply give me the instructions on how to reset the light?

Thanks,

Bill Allen

Reply to
Bill Allen, S.E.

It's in the book.

Reply to
Bob H

"Bill Allen, S.E." wrote in news:Zao%d.72984$Tt.57874 @fed1read05:

check tire perssure in all five tires. yes your spare too. make sure you have 32 psi in all of them.you have a reset button. push it in. hold it in, turn the key to the ( ON ) position.the light well soon go out. hold the button until the light blinks three times when the light stops should stay off.it should be in the owners manual.

Reply to
pukelover

It's in Section 1-6 of the Owner's Manual

(h) Engine Oil Replacement Reminder Light (for vehicles sold in U.S.A.) This light reminds you when to replace the engine oil. This light will come on when the ignition key is turned to "ON" and will go off after about a few seconds. When you drive for about 8000 km (5000 miles) after the engine oil replacement, this light illuminates for about 3 seconds and then flashes for about 12 seconds with the ignition key turned to "ON" position. If you continue driving without the engine oil replacement, and if the driving range exceeds 12000 km (7500 miles), the light will come on after the ignition key is turned to "ON" position. The light will remain on thereafter. If the light is flashing, we recommend that you replace the engine oil at an early opportunity depending on the driving and road condition. If the light comes on, replace it as soon as possible. You need to reset the light after the engine oil replacement. Reset the light by following the procedure below:

  1. Turn the ignition key to the "OFF" position with the odometer reading shown. (For details, see "Odometer and two trip meters" on page 136 in this Section.)
  2. Turn the ignition key to the "ON" position while holding down the trip meter reset button. Hold down the button until the light goes off. Before the light goes off, it illuminates for 3 seconds, flashes for 2 seconds and illuminates for 1 second. If the system fails to reset, the light will remain flashing.
Reply to
Glenn Arsenault

Glenn-

You're right. It's right there in the owner's manual.

Thanks a lot.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Allen, S.E.