2000 tacoma 4 cyl 4x4 auto

Hey,

guy at work is looking to seel his reg cab 4x4 2.7 auto tacoma. Are there any major problems with these trucks? I've only driven Chevy's and toyotas are uncharted territory. any major problems with that particular body style? What type of mileage does a 4 cylinder like that get? Is the 4 cylinder enough to haul an 18 ft bass boat? Any opinions are appreciated

thanks

TB

Reply to
Trailblazer

I bought a 99 with 107k miles and have had no problems

Reply to
Rick Morris

I bought a 95 with 107k with no problems, had a 92 pickup with 226,000 miles and running strong before I sold it. Toyota's are excellent trucks and the

2.7 is a strong motor. You can up the lower end a little with minor after market add-ons.
Reply to
Tony

EPA sticker is 19/21, and Tacos tend to get pretty close to sticker.

My big complaint on Tacos (until the 2005 model year) was the super-stiff ride

-- you tend to feel every freakin' worm cast and piece of gravel right in your ass. The only time my '96 felt "nice" was when I was hauling a full load in the bed. Unloaded...gah, just nasty. I'd take 'er for a spin, 'tho -- the '00 may be improved over the mid-90's units in that respect.

What's the boat + trailer weight for the bass boat? My gut feel would be that you'd be OK as long as you're not pulling up any steep grades, but numbers help.

Reply to
Andy Hill

I've got an '00 automatic extra cab with the 2.7L, though not a 4x4 (Prerunner).

Look for mileage in the 18 to 25 range city/highway.

Mine has about 70k. Other than oil, I've only had to replace the battery, tires, wiper blades. No smokes, no leaks.

Not sure about the boat question. I've filled my bed with firewood and/or mulch on several occasions. Springs tend to bottom on occasion, but torque/acceleration is not really an issue.

I'd buy the truck again if that tells you anything. I bought it used with

30k miles in '01.

Stew

Reply to
S.Lewis

(1) No major problems. Many owners of the earlier model years are reporting mileages of 200-250K and more with no issues. My 1995 2.4L has nearly 200K and compression is like new; I add no oil as it doesn't lose/burn enough between changes.

(2) In general Toyotas have better fit & finish than Chevys. While the SBC itself is arguably as durable as the Toyota, all of the other Chevy "stuff" tends to start falling apart after about 50-75K miles - door handles, rear view mirror, etc. I think that you'll be pleasantly surprised at the way the Toyota holds up.

(3) low 20 MPG is not unreasonable to expect.

(4) Tow cap is 3500#. Most bass boats are pretty light, much less than that. I regularly tow an 1100# camper and a 3000#, 17' lead-keel "trailer sailor." The truck barely seems to notice the camper; although the boat is obviously more of a challenge I have no problems launching or recovering it as long as I can get traction. Sand bags help....

-- Mike Harris Austin, TX

Reply to
Mike Harris