2001 Tacoma payload

Does anyone know the "true" amount of weight that can be reliably hauled in the bed of a 2001 Tacoma 4x4 with the off-road package? I simply don't believe the quoted weight of approx 1200 lbs.

Thanks Jim

Reply to
jmurdoch1027

by the number of times I have broken its leaf springs, not very much.

Reply to
Karl Rove

I had a 99 ext cab trd. I had that thing loaded up servral times without issue. Concrete chunks, 50 cinder blocks twice, pallet of fence slates (6ft), 2x4s even with the top of the bed, bags of concrete, moved me twice and lastly 3 loads of dirt from 1500 to

1800lbs. Never broken a spring or hit the stops. I wouldnt take a cross country trip loaded like that, but across town (denver) i did fine. If you are concerned you can always add a leaf or replace the stock leafs (which did by the way have some issues).

Hope that helped.

jmurdoch1027 wrote:

Reply to
hrrdluck

I've had experience that it'll do just fine.

Drive carefully, of course.

Reply to
B a r r y

I've had over a ton on 2WD drive Ford Ranger, so I am sure a Tundra can at least match that (2000 lb in a Ranger is not a pretty site). I routinely load my 13 year ol F150 with 2500 lbs. I once let the local feed and seed load a pallet of soybean seeds in the back of the old F150, but that was too much (over 3300 lbs). I won't let them do that again. I made it home, but the back end of the truck was virtually on the ground and everything (tires, wheels, axles, springs) was overloaded. Never again. That is probably too much for a Tundra, but I suppose you could give it a shot. Any time you overload your truck you need to be extra careful Emergency stopping will be a problem, and major pot holes should be avoided. I would not take a trip on a highway with an overloaded truck. If you need to haul a really heavy load a loong distance, get a trailer with brakes.

Several years ago I was using a Ranger to move sand for my kid's sand box. A local sand place will sell you a pick-up load of play sand for a flat rate price. When I went for the first load the owner used a big Cat loader to load the truck. I could tell he had done it before. He was very careful and loaded a lot of sand, but not so much that the truck was on the ground. Later in the day, I went back for another load. Ther owner was busy, so he sent another guy to load my truck. This guy was not so experienced. He filled the loader bucket and was just about to dump the whole mess on my truck when the owner realized what he getting ready to do. The bucket held enough to fill my truck up at least twice. The owner litterally dropped the phone and ran out the door yelling and waving. Fortunately the loader operator saw him and stopped just before he flatten my truck. I almost wish he had done it........ The owner emptied the bucket, started over, and did the job right.

Ed

Reply to
Ed White