06 Tacoma Tailgate

Does anyone know how much weight the tailgate on a 06 Tacoma well support? I have a 700 Lbs ATV and I weigh over 200 Lbs so I was wondering if it would be a problem for me to ride the quad on the tailgate while loading the quad in the back of the truck (using a loading ramp).

Hey Jim

You can do that ONCE.

The gate is very easy to remove. Take it off while you load the ATV.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Reply to
Hey Jim

I'm pretty sure Toyota states a max in the manual that's nowhere near what you need. 250 pounds sounds familiar, but it's been a year since I read my manual.

Reply to
B A R R Y

------------- Get FREE newsgroup access from

AG4QC

I have with no bad effects, but it was more than Toyota's limit. I've also stood on mine while I maneuvered a kayak on my rack. However, I've also heard of people bending them with what seems like a light load.

I see the tailgate limit as a CYA. I'm sure it would be quite complicated to specify the distribution and location of the load, a moving vs. a stopped vehicle...

The bottom line for me is that if I exceed the limit, I expect to repair my own damage.

Reply to
Bonehenge