2005 tacoma 4cyl or v6 which to get

Hi folk. I am new here. I am considerig a 2005 tacoma access cab with

4 cly and either automatic or manual. My driving consist of short trips around a small rural town with some driving on a two lane hiway 30 to 50 miles to get to the interstate and other 30 plus miles to get to the big city about twice a month. So about 80% small town driving. I do not toe anything. I am 57 and will use the truck for personal transportation usually by myself and 2 pugs (dogs). At the price of gas I am really considering the 4 cyl and would like to hear how other owners find the 4 cyl motor as far as sufficient power and what the real gas mileage is. Thanks to all who respond. :)
Reply to
soggy

I just purchased a Tacoma 4x2 Regular Cab manual. It seems to have plenty of power. If you look at the specifications section on Toyota.com you'll find premium gas recommended for the 6-cyl. Every saleman I spoke to said the 6-cyl will run on regular unleaded. They didn't say how well it would run.

Reply to
dyuhas

My 2002 6 cyl Tacoma knocks on regular (tried a few bucks worth of 3 brands, and then stopped), fine on mid-grade, and when towing, gets much better mileage on premium.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I own a 2002 Tacoma PreRunner V6, use regular (87 Octane) and have NEVER heard nary a knock even when towing roughly 3500 lbs.

Reply to
Brian

What did you think when you test drove them?

I know what I bought, but I drove both before I made a decision.

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

I have a 2002 4X4 Tacoma with the 4 cylinder engine. Your description of how you intend to use it is very much like my driving. I went with the 4 cylinder for several reasons. It does not have a timing belt that has to be changed every 60k miles. Also, from experience I have found that if I run synthetic oil once the engine is broken in; I will not have to change any valve lash shims for at least 150k miles. I have tracked my gas for the

55,000 miles that I have on it and around town with me driving I can get about 20mpg (about 17 with my wife driving). On the highway I get about 25-26 unless I run 55 or 60 mph with a light foot then I can get 27 or 28. I'm not sure that is achievable with the V6?
Reply to
kr

With the V6 (2002 Tacoma), on flat highway, I've never gotten much more than

21 mpg doing 60-ish mph. These numbers came from repeating the same 300 mile trip about 50 times.
Reply to
Doug Kanter

I have a 2005 Tundra reg. cab with the v6 (I believe its the same V6 in the Tacoma). The gas mileage has been excellent for a truck. I get 18 with my trailor hooked up and loaded down with all my lawn equipment, in town stop and go with the AC on. The one week I was not towing I got

20.5 in town with the AC on. I have yet to drive on a long trip to see how it does. However, the 4 cyl. may suit your needs fine. I have had better luck with the V6 than the 4 on gas mileage, My last Nisaan was a V6 and get 4 miles to the gallon better than the 4 cyl. I owned before it. Good luck to you in your purchase.
Reply to
specman1

As far as auto or standard transmission is concerned, I would recommend the standard for passing on the highway, and general driving where power is needed. I've had the 22R in auto and standard, in different 4 runners, and the difference in power was significant.

Postee

Reply to
Postee
2003 4cyl XtraCab here. My last tank was half highway half city and I got 24mpg. Its also a manual and I am really easy on take offs and cruise in 5th gear if I can. I tow my snowmobile with it and no problems...may have to drop to 4th on hills on a highway...thats it.

But typically, I get 20mpg in the city, 24-26mpg on the highway. I have every tank mileage recorded since I got the truck. I do abit better with the stock 225 tires on versus my summer 265's

Reply to
Brad P

I have a 2005 Tacoma access cab... V6... auto... 4WD with anti-slip rear diff. I drive a mix of freeway rush-hour and city driving. I get

20 MPH without really trying. I don't slam the truck around but I don't drive it like I'm trying to squeeze every mile out of the tank. The truck flies and sometimes ya just gotta let it go!!!!!
Reply to
JSR

I have a 2005 Tundra regular cab with a cab high shell and automatic. The new 4.0 liter V6 is just amazing. I get consistently better than

20 mpg. This includes running errands in city and freeway driving up and down the mountains to Burro Canyon shooting range. Run the hills with over drive off. The automatic shifts a lot and when slowing down the torque converter seems to reverse and act just like a brake. I am just thrilled. Time will tell if it lasts like my old pickup. The autos get better mileage than the stick and I can't imagine city driving with these 6 speeds. Udo
Reply to
udok

Some of us don't have to.

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

With about 2500 miles on my 2005 Tacoma 4-cyl with 5-speed (standard cab

2WD), highway mileage seems to be about 25 and city about 20. Power is fine, the engine is very torquey.
Reply to
jim

I think the word is "torquish". :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Just picked up my 05 Double-Cab V6 4x4 with offroad package a couple weeks ago. Gas mileage is about 19 - 20 so far in stop and go California freeway traffic. As far as regular vs premium fuel.. I use regular and it runs great. I use Chevron fuel which is the cleanest in the industry. I will use premium for towing however since I will be towing in the mountains. Otherwise regular fuel is just fine.

Reply to
anonymous

"torquish" is not a word; "torquey", on the other hand, is.

Reply to
desert_taco