When R&R valve covers, should I replace the fuel lines?

My son just got his first auto, '91 4Runner, I'm helping him do preventative maintenance. It's a 91 with V6, and 190k. Someone did the heads approx. 20k ago. I think they messed up on the valve cover gaskets 'cause they leak. We are going to replace them. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and replace the gasoline pressure lines at the injector rail because they are so old? The hoses seem flexible enough, however the protective outer wrap has lost it's flex and is stiff and cracks easy. Any suggestions? Also any ideas concerning the valve cover gaskets would be nice. Judging by the "form-a-gasket" oozed out, I think they tried to reuse the originals. Rick

Reply to
Rick Wolford

I'd replace the valve cover gaskets with a good quality RUBBER gasket and use a strong gasket adhesive on both sides of the gasket, such as Gasgacinch. This will help hold the gasket in place during installation and help ensure a more positive seal. Fuel hoses? If it's supposed to be flexible and isn't, I'd be concerned. Especially if the truck will be subjected to any rough roads or off roading. All of the vibration and flexing is far more likely to cause a leak in the fuel line if it's not as flexible as it should be. It's a small investment to replace the hoses when you consider the possibilities if you don't....

Reply to
MrFixit469

Did the job on my '94. Get the valve cover gaskets from Toyota and there will be no problem. Spread some white grease on them and install; no sealer needed. They will be tight and leak free - make sure all your surfaces are clean!

Anytime you are in there replace what you can 'cause it is such a pain to get down there. The fuel line hoses sound like they need to go. Also be careful when replacing the air chamber to make sure surfaces are clean!

Reply to
David Tickner

Can't resist being sarcastic here...

*Any* kind of grease, just so long as it's white?
Reply to
tbl