Thinking about buying a used 2002 tacoma 'need help deciding'

2002 4x4 extended cab toyota. 4 cylinder. manual windows and locks. has AC and Cd plus tape. bedliner. receiver hitch. no dents or scratches. my favorite color "silver" and new tires. truck has 51,000 miles. 5 speed transmission " I like manuals trans in a compact truck and auto in fullsize pickups" They are asking $16,000

I'm really wanting the Tacoma with the sr5 package, but I could live without auto lock and windows. If the truck had the 6 cylinder I might would have bought the truck today. I don't know if I like the 4. But I have been thinking to myself, why do I need the 6? I don't really pull anything. The only thing I pull is my 4wheeler maybe once twice and year.

And is here a question to the group. First I don't know a whole lot about a Toyota. This truck has the TRD off road racing decals on the sides of the bed. This seems fishy to me. Seems like the TRD would only come in the SR5 package with the V6??? One would might say to shop some more , but these trucks are to find in my area. You can buy Z71's all day long here, but I have one of those now and i'm tired of that piece of shit. I want a reliable truck.

Reply to
Brian

The TRD is more of a marketing thing. The only good thing you get is a locking diff. Everything else can be had better with aftermarket.

Drive it around if you can and get a feel for the 4. It's a good engine with good MPG. You can add aftermarket or TRD parts later for more power.

I would say snap it up. Good Toyotas are hard to find and hold the value well. You can resell it in 6 months for about what you paid for it if you want a v6 and find one.

Eddie

Reply to
Eddie

Brian, I have an '02 extended cab 4x4 4cyl., and I love my truck. I've got over

50K miles and the only thing I've had to replace was the power steering belt tensioner (thanks to a kitten in hiding). Mike
Reply to
Mike the Cop

So the TRD package did come with the 4v and 6? What is the MPG on the 4 and what is the MPG on the 6?

Reply to
Brian

One of our vehicles is a 2002 4 cyl Taco bought new. It's an excelent truck with nothing going wrong in the 32k it has on it. . It gets appx 26 mpg in town and 30 on the open highway. Much of the driving is in the Rockies and it does fine.

Reply to
BillC