2006 Tacoma Trailer Brake Control?

Hi, and thanks for your thoughts!

I have a 2006 Tacoma Access Cab V6 with the SR5 package. 4-way trailer wiring harness and a 5000lb trailer hitch were installed by the dealer. This truck did not specifically come with the "tow package".

Problem: we now have a horse trailer with electric brake and I want to hook- up an electric brake control unit in the cab of the Tacoma (would also like to find a hookup at the rear for a blue brake control wire to go to the trailer).

Question: do you know if this model came with an electric brake control hook- up sublink somewhere in the cab? I was hoping just to "plug-in" a Brake control unit to a brake control link in the cab! I cannot find one. We do have a 30A fuse already in place for this circuit in the fuse box... The dealership doesn't know - they said I'd have to look!

Does anyone have an ideas? Or the easiest way for me to hook-up a brake control unit on our truck? Hoppy Trailer products sells a brake control conn for a 03-06 Toyota - so I was hoping to use that...

Cam

Reply to
camdvm

Check the glove box and manual package folder for a connector pigtail. My '05 came with it. The connector is near or above the driver's left leg. It's been a while since I dug mine out. The manual will show a picture.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Thanks

Do you recall where you found the hook-up to connect the brake (blue) wire going from the truck to the trailer? Is it located near the rest of the 4- wire hookup, or is it on the left side of the frame close to the rear of the truck?

Cam

B A R R Y wrote:

Reply to
camdvm

In one post you said 4-way, in this one you said 4-wire.

I'm confused, the 4-wire connector does not accomodate a brake controller. As I recall, a brake controller takes either a 6- or 7-wire connector.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I have a factory 7 pin connector, so I'll bet there's an existing harness at the back of your truck. Chances are, the dealer only used the 4 wires he needed on your installation. The bed wiring harness is probably the same on all Tacomas. Using different harnesses would probably be more difficult for Toyota, outweighing savings on wire and connectors.

Most any modern vehicle that can be fitted with a hitch has a factory provision for the electricals. Even my Jeep Wrangler and Subaru Outback were prewired for a trailer connector, with a spare connector hidden somewhere near the hitch.

This is for a Tundra, but look at the truck connectors (not the trailer's):

There appears to be one connector for a 4 pin and a second for pins 5-7. Dollars to donuts you'll find something similar. If not, let me know and I'll crawl under my truck and see what I can see this weekend.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Thanks everyone for the input,

It seems that I should be able to do this. I will search for the brake control sublink in the cab, and get under the truck to see where the trailer wires are coming from.

Hopefully I can just get a 7-pin oem trailer wire hookup (for a Tundra, there doesn't seem to be one for Tacoma), and it will just plug in...

Cam

B A R R Y wrote:

Reply to
camdvm via CarKB.com

Yes, there is an OEM 7 pin for the 2005+ Tacoma.. My '05 Access Cab has a factory 7 pin connector as part of the TRD w/ tow package.

Think about how stupid it would be to advertise a 6500 pound tow capability and not have a 7 pin connector.

Check out the bottom option:

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Cam,

I crawled under my bumper and traced my 7 pin connector.

GREAT news! It goes directly to another 7 pin connection, with around a foot of wire. The connector is under the driver's side, very rear of the bed, centered between the taillight housing and license plate frame.

It's got a thick white wire in the center, and brown, green, black, blue, red (maybe orange) and yellow wires on the sides, which sound an awful lot like standard trailer color code. You'll see two skinny flex-conduits nearby housing the marker plate lamps. I would bet a case of beer that ALL 05+ Tacomas have this connection and that the installer of the 4-pin you already have simply used the 4 that were needed for the flat connector.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Hi Barry

That's great. I think I'm set. Our Toyota dealer says there is an OEM 7-pin hookup connector available for $ 282 plus installation. No thanks...?!? I can find the link and hookup a 7-pin aftermarket outlet...

Thanks aga>>Hopefully I can just get a 7-pin oem trailer wire hookup (for a Tundra, there

Reply to
camdvm via CarKB.com