208,939 new clutch

On Saturday, November 22-23 I replaced the clutch in my 1989 Toyota Pickup (22RE) for the first time. 6 people learned how to drive stick on it. She is running on 209k miles and still strong. The input shaft on the tranny is solid as well as the U-Joints on the driveshaft. She's a piece of work. I love my truck and thought that I had to share! P.S. Owned it brand new.

Reply to
D GsKi

Great! Non-Toyota owners don't believe me when I tell them I have

171,000 on the original clutch and u-joints. Nor do they beleive me when I tell them that the only lamp I've replaced (besides the headlamps) is one of the tail/brake lamps (can't remember which one)...

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM

Thanks for sharing, this is very reassuring. After a drive up Lombard (once) in San Fran and smelling burnt clutch, I was getting worried about when I'd have to replace my currently smooth-working clutch. My 96 4Runner has yet to hit 80K, so maybe I'll make it to at least 150K before I need a new clutch. :)

Reply to
Pookerz

I have 232,000 on my 93 and the clutch is original. A very slight squeal is noticable in first gear but the truck has been through some real swampy mud and such. So no complaining here, its been driven hard.

Only other thing really has been a U joint, timing chain and just in case the water pump since I was in there already.

oh yeah, the alternator about 4 times too. I have big amperage draw with my accesories.

Reply to
Toy

Next time, go up Lombard in low range... :>))

BTW, coming down is much easier on the clutch... :>))

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM

Manual transmission, Tom. Hubby insisted on driving, and he's hard on the clutch, insists on almost red-lining the engine sometimes to get that 'power curve'. I can clutch and shift so smooth you'd swear it was an automatic, and never even a glance at the tach. Won't be heading up Lombard again, it was one of those things *he* just had to do once in his life. ;D

-- Dee (who would rather walk up/down Lombard next time)

Note: please remove all pre-flight tags before replying via email.

----------

Reply to
Pookerz

Mine lasted 180k, three people learned stick (well, I relearned and my wife and daughter TRIED to learn but never could get it).

The throwout bearing was making noise from probably 60k... sounded like marbles in the tranny. I bought it at 30k, and the previous owner had used it to tow a boat.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

I'll watch others negotiate it... :>))

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM

A co-worker has a '90 4-Runner V6 and just had his first clutch replacement, about 245k. They also replaced the rear main seal while it was all apart..

Reply to
Ben Smith

Just friggin great! and here I am telling myself I'll get a new truck as soon as somthing major goes on this one. Look's like it's gonna be a long wait. '90 V6 w/157k.

Gary

Reply to
Gjlwilliams

I replace my clutch on a 1987 toyota 2wd 22r pickup at 348k. It still had plenty of meat left, but since I was rebuilting the tranny because of bearing noise, which if I did not care, I would have gone to 400k miles before tranny rebuild. The last of the u-joints was replaced at 440K. Today the vehicle has

459k. The engine is unbelievable, heads never removed, still has lots of power.

john

Reply to
john babiarz

Gary, I hope you like your truck! Its going to be a while yet for you! ;-)

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Ya... I couldn't kill my '94. 40k miles a year, change the oil every

15k, factory coolant. Got tired of trying to kill it and traded it on the Tundra.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

I too have an 89 Truck with 254,000 and the original clutch. I never planned to keep it this long.

Bill

Reply to
Rush