Two piece driveshaft help wanted.

On an 82 suburban, I have a two piece driveshaft with the 3 u joints ,and there's a bearing with the bonded rubber is peeled almost all the way around. its shot. Its not a ujoint or cardan, its just a roller bearing bonded in a sheetmetal pillow block housing. and a water shield on it. The Chilton's and the Haynes don't say how critical the alignment is . however I can look down the shaft and see the front and rear shafts are not aligned straight. side to side. I guess I,m concerned about the splines where the two shafts slip together and if mis alignment will wear them out. Should I try and make the shafts straight from the tranny to the rear end, and align the bearing with the shafts, or leave the bearing loose and tighten the u joints and tighten the bearing where it wants to stay put at.

Reply to
none2u

that's called a hanger bearing and it's not deathly critical but you should keep it as straight as possible...but change it first.

Reply to
taz

It's a carrier bearing. Just replace it.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

If it's bad, replace it. Hanger, Carrier, or Center Support bearing are all terminologies used to describe the part.

as to yer concern for tightening....................

tighten the u-joints first, then tighten the Center Support bearing where it wants to set at. Give it a few jostles to insure it's not in some weird bind.

m/o

~:~ MarshMonster ~trans tech~

Reply to
Marshal Monster