Who's the expert here on vibration?

First of all a big thanks to any and all that have helped in the past, you folks are great!

Here's what I got;

1986 4Runner with stock everything. Nothing fancy, just a nice clean truck. 22RE with the R150 tranny I think off the top of my head. I have no RPM gauge. Anywaaaays I got a little vibration problem.

I get what feels like front end vibration at around 57 mph last through about 64 mph. I start to feel it pretty good at 57 and it lessens up to around 64 where it is gone. A few things I've noted;

Starts abruptly and tapers off. By abruptly I mean up until 57 there is no vibration present at any speed in any gear.

The vibration certainly does not make the truck undrivable but it is noticeable.

It happens in either 4th or 5th gear. I haven't taken it to 57 in 3rd.

The engine RPM does not seem (IMHO) to factor into it. I am certainly pulling higher RPMs at 57 in 4th than I am in 5th.

It is not as prevalent on an incline. If the truck is under load say on an incline I do not get anywhere near as much vibration. In fact I could hold it steady at say 60 on the incline and once I top the hill I start picking up the vibration again. More vibration on flat roads. Downhill seems to be less.

Here's what's recently been done to the truck maintenance wise. (vibration present before and after any of this)

New clutch, pressure plate and bearings. New tranny seals and transfer case seals. Cleaned/Inspected u-joints and used new grease (did not open them, clean was exterior only) New front wheel bearings. New rear wheel bearings. New sway bar mounts/linkage. New tires and wheels. Engine is solid. All new gaskets including head gasket this past winter. New timing chain, tensioner, and guides. Water pump.

OK, that's about it. The BIGGEST thing missing is an alignment. I have not done that yet. Truck drives fine, tracks well, does not drift or pull. I haven't done it yet because I plan on rebuilding the bushings in the pitman/idler arms.

The tranny was out last week for the clutch job and it was in good condition and needed little more than gaskets and seals. The input shaft bearing was fine.

Anyone want to point me in the right direction?

I was going to check the following;

Wheel balancing (free) Rebuild Pitman & Idler arms ($15) Get an alignment ($60) Tranny?? Engine??

What am I missing or where should I concentrate?

Thanks Mark

Reply to
Mark Simpson

Nathan

Wheel balancing should be your first thing to do... I know you said you jsut got new tires, but didnt' say if they were balanced. You would think they would balance them before they put them put them on the truck...

How well did they balance them ? Did you watch the tires closely as they were bieng balanced? I spent along time trying to figure out what was causing some vibration with some new tires I had. After going back to the tire shop many times I finally had the guys rebalance the tires and closely watched the tires as they were spinning on the machine to find out that I had wheel hop in two tires.so I had them replace the tires with different new ones which solved the problem for about a year till. I noticed I had more vibration then found out that one of the rear tires had a barely noticable bubble.

My advice is have the tires rebalance but watch the tires as they are spinning very closely for any wheel hop or wobble.

Mark Simps> First of all a big thanks to any and all that have helped in the past, you

Reply to
Die Spammer !!!