22r a/c problem...

I have a toyota p/up. The a/c used to work perfect, until i did some engine work on the truck recently. The clutch stop engaging, which I think is just some wiring problem. But after I temporarily reestablished the connection, the a/c is still not cold. I didnt turn on the ac for about a month, but there is still presure in the freon lines, so i dont think that is a problem. Anyone with any knowledge will be very helpful. Thank you.

Reply to
kuchinu

did you check the sight glass on the receiver/dryer when you forced the clutch to engage? Have you put a multimeter in the clutch circuit to see if you get voltage when you turn on the A/C??

There is usually some sort of high and/or low pressure switch that tells the compressor not to kick-in if the freon is low, so it's a good possibility. Have you checked all the connections to make sure they are tight?

Reply to
Celica Dude

i gotta admit i dont really know much about a/c. from what i observed, there is only one black/white wire that goes into the a/c compressor, and i think that is the lead wire. as for the sight glass, there is activity when i force engage the clutch, but comparing to my other vehicles the activity is as vigorous. is this a sign of low freon?

Reply to
kuchinu

i gotta admit i dont really know much about a/c. from what i observed, there is only one black/white wire that goes into the a/c compressor, and i think that is the lead wire. as for the sight glass, there is activity when i force engage the clutch, but comparing to my other vehicles the activity is as vigorous. is this a sign of low freon?

Reply to
kuchinu

I'm no HVAC man (although, I wish I was), but I seem to recall that bubbles in the sight glass is a sign of low freon (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Reply to
Celica Dude

Full: liquid going by with a few lazy bubbles flowing along. Half: liquid going by with lots of little bubbles entrained. Quarter: seafoam or beer suds going by, no liquid to speak of. Empty: a spit of foam every once in a while. Then the low pressure switch cuts off the compressor to prevent damaging it.

And on Toyotas, if the compressor stops and the AC light starts blinking, the system thinks the compressor is bad or locked up (the "AC Amplifier" doesn't get a rotation signal from a sensor inside the compressor when the clutch is turned on) - it stops the clutch to prevent throwing or snapping the belt, which could knock out other accessories.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Thanks Bruce, very informative.