22R Timming Belt Question

95 4Runner timming belt replaced 70k ago. What are some of the symptoms that might suggest its time to have replaced ? Dealer says every 60k ?
Reply to
Skipper

I think you mean a 3VZE. The 22R has a timing chain. The 3VZE has a belt. There are no real symptoms of a warn belt, it just breaks. 60K miles or every 5 years is the recommended. Why take the chance of one breaking on you?

Reply to
Joseph Wind

You most likely have the 3V-ZE V6, as the 22-RE has a chain (should last

250k miles) rather than a belt (should last 120k miles, but is changed more frequently as a snapped timing belt can cause problems more expensive than replacing the belt).

You might notice a timing issue if, say, the belt is worn enough to allow the teeth to skip on the gears; highly unlikely, though, as timing belts tend to snap before seeing that sort of wear.

You can remove the front dust cover and visually inspect the belt; look for broken or shallow teeth, threads coming out of the side; cracks in the rubber facing. ANY visible wear indicates a replacement.

lycka till! GTr

- -

gregory trimper

WOW, I was always informed to change the timimg chain in a 22R at approximately 120,000 miles. Several mechanics has informed me that much after that, they have started to see the chain start rubbing on the timing cover.

nick

gregory trimper wrote:

Reply to
N. Funk

I just went through that same ordeal myself. It's not the chain that breaks, its the guide. After replacing the entire timing chain assembly with steal backed guides, and a new timing cover. On top of that, I replaced damaged valves and a valve job. I think it could last another 150K miles.

Reply to
Joseph Wind

Hi Nick - actually, that's a good point that applies to the 22-RE, but not the 22-R. The plastic timing chain guard tends to be eaten away prematurely; and there are probably still some 22-REs out there that haven't replaced the plastic guide with the metal version.

So, yes, if the plastic chain guard hasn't been replaced, the engine should probably receive a new timing set (gears, chain, and guard) that will easily last 250k.

good luck! GTr

- -

gregory trimper

Not always the case. My wife used to have a 1987 Plymoth Horizon where teeth on the timing belt had broken out but the belt had not snapped.

DougH

Reply to
DougH