22r won't start

I have a 1987 Toy 4wd with 22r carb motor. The truck didn't run when I got it do to head gasket needed replaced. I replaced gasket but can't get it to run. The timing is right, spark to plugs, fuel is in carb(only putside barrel is shooting fuel in), coil checks out ok. I tried starting fluid and won't catch even though it sounds like it wants to. I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
george748

Did you readjust the valve clearences? Did you make sure all the marks on the gears realigned right?

Reply to
Offen Rong

The timing marks appear to be on the money. I didn't adjust the valves because I didn't take the head all the way apart. Would you suggest i do?

Reply to
george748

-- First check the compression if you haven't already. If that checks out it's probably out of time. For what it's worth, a blown head gasket doesn't usually stop the motor. It does make it run like crap though.

Every day is a good day- it's just that some are better than others.

Reply to
max-income