4-Runner: Screeching / Grinding When Turning

I have a '94 4Runner, and almost every time that I turn, something at the front wheels makes a horrible screeching / grinding noise. It's very loud and noticeable. I believe that the noise is coming from 2 pins attached to each of the front wheels grinding against the lower suspension arm. The small plastic boots that are on the end of these pins appears to have worn away. What is the names for these boots, and what are they attached too? I need a name for these in order to be able to find them. Also, does anyone happen know where I can pick these up? Pep Boys and Kragen Auto do not seem to carry them, (or at least the salespeople have no idea what they are, nor where I could find them in the store). Thanks.

Reply to
Dave

They are called steering stops, and Toyota whacks you about $7.00 per pair.

Put some heavy grease on them after your done putting them on, and on the c shaped stop they ride against too. If anyone has alternatives to buying and replacing these things, I'm all ears!

Reply to
David N Emmet

Yep, steering stops, most likely. Here's a writeup w/ pictures:

Roger Brown

"David N Emmet" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Yeah. Just don't bother. My steering stops disintegrated years ago, and it's NBD.

Reply to
Rich

Yep, in fact I didn't even know that they had plastic covers until the original post - I've always just greased them whenever I lube and even when they grind it's not causing any damage - just makes a lotta noise.

Reply to
slikrikd