4Runner 2001 braking noise - ABS pump?

I have a 2001 SR5 4Runner 4WD (about 30,000 miles).

There is a strange noise from under the hood that occurs on braking, every 3rd or 4th time I brake (normal gentle braking not slamming the brakes on). So I hear it every 60 - 90 seconds. The noise is like 2 - 5 seconds of a low buzzing (like the electrical sound a refrigorator makes when the cooling components cut in) and then at then end there is a single metallic popping sound. It is a clearly audible sound to anyone in the car.

There is no light on the dash when it happens and there is no noticeable difference (pressure or pumping) on the brake pedal.

The guy at the dealership said it was a normal sound, but my buddy with a 2000 SR5 says he almost never hears it on his truck. So I am assuming that this is a standard noise, but that something inthe braking system is dying out, hence the fact it happens so often.

I am guessing that the ABS pump maybe dying out. Anyone had this happen to them or got any ideas?

Cheers

Reply to
Grumble

I have an '02 with about 25K.... same thing. I brought it into the dealer and says that it is normal and that it is the ABS pump. I'm searching right now for the same reason you were. I don't think its normal, because it just started doing it about a month ago. At least you now know you are not alone. Hopefully others may chime in, especially if they had to buy a new ABS pump after warranty expired.

Reply to
Runner04