4Runner difficult starting in AM, condensation in exhaust

I have an '87 4Runner with 240k miles. It is the 4 cylinder model with manual transmission.

For the past couple of months it has been slow to start after it has not been driven for 8 hours or more. It takes 15-20 seconds of cranking for it to start, but once it has run for a few minutes, it will restart on the first turn of the starter. It has been recently tuned, has a new condenser, and passed a smog and compression check.

When the truck first starts, I see a noticable amount of condensation coming out of the exhaust. This lasts for several minutes, but eventually stops (this recurs after the truck sits for several hours). I have no indication that coolant is getting into the combusion chamber, and have had no over-heating problems. It uses a moderate amount of oil.

I don't have a lot of confidence in my local mechanic. He seems to operate on the notion that you keep replacing parts until you hit on the one that was the problem.

What should I look at as a likely cause of this problem (the truck, not the mechanic)?

Thanks,

John

Reply to
Radical1

Here's a quick check to rule out fuel pump problems during starting:

bypasses the secondary contact from the ignition switch to the circuitopening relay and turns on the pump with the ignition.

Reply to
Roger Brown