4th head gasket for an 86 Toyota 22r

Suggestions please

I am about to begin my 4th head gasket for a 86 Toyota 22r 4wd, total miles

160,000. First one done by the dealerr. Second one I had the head completely re done and re surfaced. Third one.....??!! I was hoping that the last one was jus a fluke or who knows what. Now here I go again! Always fails in the same spot, there is an area next to one of the cylinders where it is pretty thin. I am hoping that some one has a trick or brillant solution to make this my last head gasket on this truck.

Love the truck, hate this naging problem! Chris

Reply to
Chris Schramm

Chris,

First the obvious: I assume you're sure that the surfaces are flat.

Second: I'm not sure about Toyota but many manufacturers tell you to use new head bolts whenever you pull the head. I've heard it has something to do with the bolts stretching which keeps the head tight the first time they're used.

Chris Schramm wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to send this message. Yes, I am sure about the surfaces. But I had not heard about using new head bolts. I would hope that when then dealer did the job the first time that they used new head bolts... I did not, but I will this time!

Chris

Q wrote:

Reply to
Chris Schramm

Two times on my '88 22R. If I remember right, the first time it was between #s 2 & 3. The water jackets are thin. They shop sent it out to have it welded to make it thicker, then surfaced the head. The second time, it was between #s 3 & 4. Same build-up and surface routine as before. I asked the mechanic if there was any other places that were going to cause trouble, he said those are the only ones they know about. Aparently, this is a fairly common problem with the 22R. Oh, well, we all have to pay our dues I suppose...

I understand that LC Engineering has a complete new head available with all the boo-boos fixed in the casting...

Reply to
TOM

Reply to
Chris Schramm via CarKB.com