'84 4x4 brake problems...

I've got an '84 toyota 4x4 pickup that when i'm reversing, the brake rubs. For example, if i'm on a hill and put it in reverse for a second to start rolling, then put it in neutral, the truck will be rolling backwords down the hill and come to a stop as if i hit the brakes. It doesn't seem to do this when going forward, but i do feel like my not so good gas mileage has gotten lots worse.

I pulled the rear drums off last night (i replaced the rear pads and drums about 20k miles ago, figure i messed something up) and didn't see anything obviously wrong. The only thing i did see was that on the right side (the side that was metal to metal when i changed 'em last time), the brake pads aren't resting exactly snug to the top post of the brake assembly. I have also noticed lately that pumping my brakes once when stopping increases my brake power.

Any ideas?

thanks

casey g

Reply to
gerstle

Check your parking brake cables and linkage for seized components. It sounds like your parking brake is not releasing all the way.

Reply to
Mike

thanks. Now that i look at it, the right side arm operated by the e brake cable is pretty d___ stuck. I'll get that moving and back together and see how it goes. Thanks.

casey g

Reply to
gerstle