For those whose A/C only works on hi

This is a common fix I suppose, but I was just given some great advice here in another matter, and wanted to give something back.

My A/C was only working on the highest speed so I figured I'd need a new motor. Turns out all I needed was a new blower resistor. My truck is a

1991 SR5 Pickup 4x4 XCab, 3L V6, but the fix is the same regardless of the model (though the part number might be different).

Note that the Chilton manual for these trucks shows the blower resistor in the wrong spot. It is actually a small part located in the firewall in back of the glovebox and to the right of the blower motor (which is directly behind the glove box). A 4-pin harness runs from the blower motor to the blower resistor in the firewall. Just unplug the harness, and remove the two screws holding the blower resistor. It lifts out of the firewall easily. The backside consists of three coiled wires with a solid bead of insulation material running inside each coil. If your A/C is not working on the lower speeds, this material is going to be cracked in one or more of the coils.

Toyota charges $48 for this part, but I got it from a discount Auto Parts place in town for $32.50. For this truck the Toy part number is:

87138-89105. The Auto Parts equivalent is made by "Standard" PN RU246. It looks identical and works great. Just in time for summer too.

The great thing about this fix is all you need is 30 seconds, 30 bucks, and a phillips. ;) Hope this helps someone.

Reply to
Randy

That's good advice. Others have posted similar instructions in the past, but I think this is the kind of thing that should be posted on a semi-regular basis since I seems to be a fairly common problem. I am now down to (up to?) the top two speeds in my '88 pickup. I had the top three, but the lower speed, #2 on the switch died last winter. The higher the resistance, the slower the blower motor runs, but the hotter the resistor gets. I assume that at its highest setting there is no resistance present...

Reply to
TOM
[small snip]

Makes sense.

When I bought this truck in 2002 the A/C did not work on low, but worked on setting 2, 3 and 4. Like you, the lower settings began to cease working until only hi worked. If I had known all I needed to do was take

30 seconds to replace this part I would have done it in 2002! How nice to be able to take it to the gas station this morning with the A/C on low! The fan makes virtually no noise on low and keeps the truck very chilly.

I still have the original A/C system in this, meaning if anything ever goes wrong I have to upgrade it to the new type of A/C rather than repair or service it. Do you still have the original A/C in your '88?

IAC it blows cold as a freezer, so no problem there. I know some people adjust the temp slider to mix some heat with the A/C when it blows too cold. Does this slider adjust down the amount of freon being used, or merely introduce hot air along with the cold? That's probably a stupid question, but... ;)

TIA

Reply to
Randy

Unfortunately, I only have the heater. My truck was ordered as part of a fleet of service trucks. Before the trucks were off-loaded in Long Beach (or where ever it was they arrived), the ordering company filed for bankruptcy. The trucks were sold through local dealers. The dealer I bought mine from in Escondido (Southern California) had three or four sitting on the lot, all dark gray, with no options. They had vinyl bench seats, standard cabs, vinyl floor mats (no carpet), 4-speed transmissions, no A/C, no power steering, and no radios. They were really base models. The engines were 22Rs with carbs, not fuel injection.

My brother referees to it as a Toyota GTU (Generic Transportation Unit). How right he is... :>))

I've had it for over 18 years and it has about 186,000 miles on it. A couple of head gaskets, a crank pulley sleeve, a fuel pump, a brake and clutch master cylinder, and the usual stuff, filters, brakes, etc. I've been very happy with it.

Reply to
TOM

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 12:28:41 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hm.pls (Randy) found these unused words floating about:

It doesn't "use" freon ... the refrigerant is in a closed system (or should be!).

Two methods of regulation - add warmth via the heater or cycle on/off the compressor as do homes.

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

Sounds like it's done good by you. :)

LOL. Sounds like something Seven of Nine woulda said (from Star Trek Voyager).

Lucky for the truck it found a good home right off the bat. ;)

Reply to
Randy

But eventually people need to add refrigerant because ... ? It just breaks down over time chemically?

Reply to
Randy

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 23:03:39 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hm.pls (Randy) found these unused words floating about:

Usually minute cracks that you can't 100% seal. That's why they make a 'sealant' version for older vehicles. The heat/cold swings as well as vibration make it inpossible to maintain a perfect seal.

I've an Amana roof A/C unit that's 20+ years old, never been touched and is still meeting every performance check. How often do you add freon to refrigerators? They're about the same as a car's system in size.

By "USE" I meant as in consume, the OP commented that altering the temperature might "use less freon'.

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

Good points. Perhaps if we took our refrigerators and/or household cooling systems out 4-wheeling, they you would develop leaks after a few years... :>))

Reply to
TOM

Great point.

Thanks for the explanation. I won't feel like I'm using up the refrigerant now when I run the A/C. :) I don't want to be forced to replace this A/C b/c it works so good (and of course the expense). But I was thinking the more I use it the sooner the freon (or whatever they use in these old ones) will be gone. But if it is only dependent on leaks then it makes no never mind! :)

Reply to
Randy

This is common knowledge. When the fan speeds are no longer adjustable, the resistor pack is the culprit. When the fan will not come on at all, then the resistor pack might be the culprit, OR the motor could be burnt out.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland