Lithium base multi-purpose, NLGI #1 (driveshaft u-joints & slide yokes)

Lithium base multi-purpose, NLGI #2 (wheel bearings)

Now, my question is, can any of the above be substituted for any others above? And since I'm always trying to learn more, why can they or can't they? Thanks.

Reply to
Jovis

I use a moly-fortified general purpose grease for everything on my '85.

Reply to
Roger Brown

#0, #1, & #2 describes the consistency of the grease. #2 is thicker than #0 or #1, and #2 is most common except in very cold climates in the winter.

Lithium or lithium complex base is the most common base. The base provides the thickness of grease. Added to the base is lubricating oil (conventional or synthetic) that does the lubrication. Molybdenum disulfide is the dark gray powder that provides additional lubrication especially for slow moving heavily loaded parts.

I'd use a top quality moly fortified synthetic oil grease. How cold are your winters? Minnesota, etc., I'd get a tube of #1 for the winter and #2 for summer.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

Thanks for the responses. Looks like a Moly-Fortified is the way to go. What are the benefits of a synthetic grease? I live in NY, on the Southeast edge of Lake Ontario. We get a ton of snow, but the temps aren't too bad. We get down to an average of 10-20 degrees F, with maybe a week or two of below 0 temps.

Reply to
Jovis