89' Toyota 5-speed pops out of gear

Hi all,

I have a problem with an '89 Toyota 5-speed, 4-wheel drive pickup. The shifter has recently started popping out of 3rd and 4th gear when shifting. Can anyone tell me what needs to be replaced/adjusted, and how hard is it to do as a DIY project?

Thanks very much, Shiftless

Reply to
Shiftless

do a google search on the following:

Bushing, Shift Lever 33548-31010 Seat, Shift Lever 33505-35020

I have a '92 toyota 4 cylinder 5 speed manual. took about 30 minutes to do.

j.

Shiftless wrote:

Reply to
Say not the Struggle nought Availeth

Thank you, J! This is very much appreciated.

Reply to
Shiftless

Here's a full writeup on the repair:

Roger Brown

message

Great! That'll help. Now I know what I'm getting into :) Thanks much.

Reply to
Shiftless

Great tip! Takes little time and makes a world of difference (89 Toy @ 390K)

Reply to
Bruce

"Shiftless" wrote in news:Ffayb.71809$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.austin.rr.com:

Is it popping out of gear or is the stick sloppy? Popping out of gear would indicate a serious tranny problem.

-Dan

Reply to
TR6C

My truck was popping out of gear for about 1 month then it went away. One of the guys at work thinks my throw out bearing went bad. I am just looking for the time to go in and complete the repair and investigate further.

Tony

Reply to
Toyota Sled

well i had the popping out of gear in 3rd and 4th and used the method pointed to in this thread to replace the bushings, and it fixed everything.

mike

Reply to
Mike Deskevich

I too had the bushing replaced and fixed the same issue.

Reply to
Duh!

Another vote for the bushing replacement route. $15 in parts and a couple of hours. Hardest part was getting the rubber shift boot out from under the carpet. Also, the assembly comes apart by pushing down and twisting the slotted nut 90 degrees.

FWIW, tranny shop wanted $450 to drop tranny and look at it. They never once suggested just looking at the bushings.

Reply to
Mike Hunt