5-speen xmsn problem....HELP

Good Morning Fellow Toyota-files:

I've a 99 Tacoma TRD 4WD. She has the 2.7 litre 4-cylinder married up to the

5-speed gearbox and has about 93,000 trouble-free miles.

Recently, she's developed a problem with her shifting-specifically into 3rd,

5th, Reverse, but mostly 4th gear. Basically, all the gears to the right of 1st and 2nd.

Shifting into 1st and 2nd feel fine. The gear shifter seems to move fully into gear.

However when shifting into 3rd, and really 4th, the gear shifter doesn't feel as though it's going fully into gear. Then, when you pull her down into 4th and release the clutch, she jumps back into neutral.

I've discovered that if you deliberately pull her into 4th, hold her there, release the clutch and put her under load, she stays in gear.

I called and spoke to a friend of mine that owns a transmission repair shop.

He told me that there is a plastic clip or part under the console where the gear shifter married up with the transmission. That by removing the console, this clip or plastic part is easily replaced.

So, here are my questions:

  1. Is this a good diagnosis?
  2. Is this problem easy to fix? (e.g. can I order the part and repair it myself)
  3. If this is not the problem, any suggestions?

Please replay to my post by posting to the group as well as sending me an e-mail. I'm deployed with the Army at Ft. Stewart and AOL is a long distance call. So, I'm getting onto AOL long enough to post this question and will check my army e-mail periodically.

Thanks and God Love y'all?

Walter Christian Mattil Major Engineers

Birmingham, Alabama

99 Tacoma TRD Xcab 4WD 02 Tacoma Prerunner Quadcab (spouse's)
Reply to
WaltMattil

Wolfgang

Here's a writeup for the '95 and earlier transmissions for the shift lever seat replacement:

not be the exact part numbers you need but should show you how to remove theshifter and have a look at yours to see if its broken or worn out.

Reply to
Roger Brown

Hi,

I'm not sure about a 99 Tacoma but that was exactly the problem I had with my 86 4wd toyota pickup. HTH

seat replacement:

Reply to
R3