'95 Pickup warmup takes long time??

It's my '95 pickup, 4 cylinder, 5-speed stick shift. The rpm is high from cold engine as other cars, then it will go on and on until about

7 minutes later, the rpm will drop to normal. This takes too long comparing to other Toyotas I have. Usually, the EMU will not send any signal to send the coolant to the engine block in the beginning when staring up from the cold engine. So the engine can warm up faster with higher rpm since the richer fuel mixture. Then will drop back to normal when the engine warms up and O2 sensor kicks in. What goes wrong to cause the 7 min. of high RPM?? New Toyota coolant, No overheating, hesitation, stumbling & vaccum leak etc. IPS and IAC are o.k. Truck runs like a champion after 7 minutes. MPG is great with 30. Any insights and directions will be appreciated. Matt
Reply to
Matt

Have you checked the thermostat? And what temperature t-stat are you running? I use this one:

my '85 warms up normally, probably in about 1 mile of city driving and itsup to temp.

Reply to
Roger Brown

I use this one:

The temp stays at normal low range (pointer stays about 1/10 of the temp. range) all the time; unless lots of traffic stops with long idling or in a hot day, then temp. will go up to normal high (lower than half of the temp. range). That's it. Never overheat. Run like a champ; smooth and quiet.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

That is not normal... Normal is in the middle of the gauge.

running? I use this one:

Reply to
Tony

It's doing exactly what my Celica was doing... while it was doing it, I had almost no heat and the only time I ever saw the gage go to the middle was after doing 90+ mph for 3 hours on the highway...

The problem?

Failed thermostat -- like everyone says.

Costs 8 bucks plus money for a gasket... even if that's not the problem, you're out less than 10 bucks in most cases. Heck, you could just pull the housing when the car has cooled down and yank the t-stat and see if it's stuck open with your eyes before you go buy one.

Reply to
Celica Dude

The culprit is thermostat. I replaced with a new one and gasket. temp is normal, and idle is so quiet and smooth now. Van't believe thermostat only lasts 51K (mine is low milledge). Thanks for everyone's help. Matt

Reply to
Matt

It's not always mileage... sometimes it's simply time. My '94 needed a thermostat in 2001, at about 180k.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer