Sienna transmission problem

Hi folks,

My 2002 Sienna with 85,000kms has trouble upshifting from 2nd when cold.

That is, as I leave home the car will shift into 2nd normally but will hesitate for a few seconds before shifting into 3rd. As speed increases awaiting the upshift, the RPM increases and valve train noise is heard from the engine over reving. After that, the transmission is normal.

Trans fluid has been changed as per specs using Dex III and the oil is very clean with no smell.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
G Mulcaster

Are you sure that the delayed shift is 2-3 and not 3-4?

Reply to
Ray O

I seem to recall trying it with overdrive deselected and the delayed upshift occured. Thus, my conclusion that 2-3 is the culprit.

I will try it again to confirm and report back.

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
G Mulcaster

Hi Ray,

Yes. I confirmed this morning by deselecting OD. I felt the 1-2 shift then the 2-3 shift delayed. The RPM went to 2800 before the shift to 3 (normal accelleration).

Regards, Gary

Reply to
G Mulcaster

I would not worry if the first shift into a particular gear is at 2800 RPM when the engine is cold under light to moderate throttle. When you originally mentioned a hesitation, I thought that you meant that the transmission was slipping, and by "high" RPM, you meant over 4,000 RPM.

The transmission is designed to shift at higher RPM until the engine coolant is warmed up. The later shifting warms up the engine and transmission more quickly.

If you had the coolant changed at the same time as the ATF, the engine may be taking longer to warm up.

Reply to
Ray O

I have a 98 XLE I bought used from Toyota back in 2000 and about a year or so ago they sent a letter that they were extending the warranty to 100,000 mi. due to transmission problems. I don't know if it applies to 2002 models or not. Just a thought you might ask your dealer.

Reply to
Patrick Casher

I will. Thanks.

Gary

Reply to
G Mulcaster

Thanks for the info Ray.

Gary

Reply to
G Mulcaster

You're welcome! If you take it to the Toyota dealer, let us know how things work out.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

Ray,

A follow up (a bit late :).

The Toyota dealer tested my Sienna this morning. The tech noted the delay in shifting and the valve train noise associated with the higher RPM.

Turns out the tech has the same vehicle and his exhibits the same symtoms.

The service manager assesses everything as normal as you indicated. He also stated that, in the unlikely event the condidtion becomes an issue later, it is recorded for power train warranty purposes.

Gary

Reply to
G Mulcaster

Glad to hear that it sounds like everything is OK!

Reply to
Ray O