97 tacoma v6 4X4 transmission whining under load

I recently purchased a 97 Tacoma 4x4 5spd manual transmission and have just returned from a trip which included much uphill driving, before I left I had noticed noise in gears 1st through 3rd like bearing noise, or a high pitched whining, when on my trip I also noticed what appears to be a bearing whine especially noticeable going uphill and downhill, is my transmission going bad or is this typical for this transmission?

Reply to
steve

If the whine goes away when you press the clutch peddle in at idle, then it's the trannie's input shaft bearing. It's a common problem with the manual 5 speed, had it happened on both an

82 Toyota 4x4 and a 99 Tacoma. Toyota replaced the Tacoma's trannie since it was under the factory warrantee, the 82's I had to rebuild. When the input shaft seal goes, it's time for a trannie rebuild. Fresh oil and a good clutch pilot bearing will reduce input shaft slop and prolong the seal's life, see Philip's responses at:
Brad
Reply to
B Martinez