99 Taco vibrates when braking

Greetings, All -

My newly-aquired 99 tacoma vibrates when I brake. The front rotors were juust turned (and it's not the pedal pulsing - it's the whole truck shuddering).

Assuming the pads (front) and linings (rear) are good, where do I look next?

Many thanks in advance for your ideas...

~s

Reply to
Steve Roberts

diespammer

DS-

They're Sigma Regents (a la Tire Kingdom), about half way through their warantee. I thought about them, but the balance and alignment seems OK at highway speed, and even somewhat above. Think that could be it?

Reply to
Steve Roberts

A friend's Taco shook a lot while braking. He thought the same as you and had the rotors turned. Slight improvement. Seems he had some substance on his brake pads that was causing it, maybe grease from wheel bearing. New (non-metallic) pads stopped it. Old ones were really glazed over.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

Reply to
shawnews.vc.shawcable.net

Ok, I never heard of Sigma Regents here in the US. So you made me do a search on the internet for some info on these tires... I was not able to find any info. But I am thinking that maybe you have off road tread on these tires maybe? At what speeds does the truck shudder? If your tires are still under warrenty. Get off the internet for a few minutes and take them back now for some different ones before your warranty runs out.

Steve Roberts wrote:

Reply to
diespammer

I had a similar this summer on my '99 Tacoma. The dealer replaced the rear brake drums and the problem was fixed.

Reply to
John Starr

Here's your list:

1) Rotors warped, just replace them. They're cheap at NAPA (do your pads too) 2) Wheels out of balance, they're cheap to have re-balanced, so go for it. 3) Get an alignment

Go in that order, I'm sure your problem is in there.

In my case it was my tires that were unevenly worn, they were M/T's and they were old as old as shit. New tires + rebalance = perfect.

-Rob

Reply to
Rob Pilgrim