autel VAG505 scan tool

I was loaned the Autel 505 tool to scan my granddaughters 15 plate Audi A3 diesel.

It throws up an engine code 17158 yet I cannot find what this code refers to, anyone know?

When set to auto scan the thing hangs at the steering wheel lock diagnosis, which is item 38 of 127 in the list, and when I scan this manually (it's a dedicated VAG menu) it fails with a communication error and has to be unplugged before it will communicated again.

I suspect the scan tool is at fault but has anyone experience of these things?

AJH

Reply to
news

Found it here: search the page for 17158

no idea what it means or refers to, but it comes up as a databus U1123

00 error
Reply to
MrCheerful

Thanks, I had seen that page but it seemed ambiguous, The U1123 error seems to be something to do with the odometer.

AJH

Reply to
news

Oops were you trying to clock it?

:-)

Reply to
newshound

No but that's a good call, she bought it with 20k miles on the odometer so the error code may well be to do with something the dealer did.

AJH

Reply to
news

Depending on the car, you can get another mileage reading computed from the engine ECU with VCDS. This doesn't work on quite a few cars though.

TBH it's probably worth seeing if you can get a copy of VCDS runagainst the car as it's the best alternative to the dealer diag equipment.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Looks good but $1200 is a bit steep, I wonder if anyone in Surrey has it?

AJH

Reply to
news

I've got one (in Sheffield alas) - wasn't that expensive, Ross-Tech £200 IIRC (but limited to 5 vehicles). Also, check the forums - they tend to run a database of owners happy to lend them out.

*So* much better than those OBD readers you can get from ebay for a couple of quid. The software works well, and the outputs approach useful.
Reply to
RJH