Am I nutty for buying this?

I put down a $100 deposit from a dealer on a 1999 tacoma V6 extended cab with 100,000 miles on it. I have a mechanic check it out, and the only problem I am concerned with is the tailgate does not work.

I am paying $10,400.00 for the truck. I know that is in line with edmunds.com, but I must ask, am I nutty to pay that much? My understanding is that tacos usually go for well over 200,000 miles if taken care of. It's the exact truck I want, but I want to make sure the mileage is too much... Please let me know you experiences / throughts.

Thanks, Michael

Reply to
jwill

I too am in the market for a new truck, and I've talked to many a tacoma owner. Everyone says the same thing: I love it, it's been great, reliable, I expect it to see 300K. However, if you want one, you're going to have to _pay_ for it.

My needs and price range have me bouncing back and forth between Toyota & a Ranger. To get the toyo, I'll have to go back at least 5 years from the ranger, and up in miles as well. That said, I suspect I'll buy a Toyo anyway.

I think you're making a wise buy. For over $10K US, however, I'd pay a seperate party to go through it and compression test it. If you have the knowledge & means you could do it yourself - I plan to.

Many dealers have 72hr return windows, so you could probably have this done when you pick the truck up and return it if there are any issues. I'd bet you a couple hundred there won't be any issues, but I wouldn't bet $10K on it. Not when I could find out for sure for

100-200.

Enjoy the new truck, I'm a lil green over here.

Reply to
DanKMTB

This may help you breathe easier. In Dec. of 2000, I bought a 1995 T100 with the 3.4 and auto trans for $5000. At the time I bought it, it had 219K miles. Had it been anything but a Toyota, I'd have kept on looking. It now has 338K and still runs and looks very good indeed. It blew a head gasket two years after I bought it and Toyota stood behind it - even to the extent of putting in a new short block because the coolant had pitted the cylinders. All on their nickle. I fully expect to see a half million miles at the very least. Trying to think of the parts I've replaced - fuel pump last summer, spark plug wires, various bulbs, spark plugs, just normal wear items. I am a stickler for maintenance, though. Good luck brother. I doubt you'll regret this experience.

Reply to
Lhead

Price sounds kind of high to me, I bought a 99 Taco,4x4, 5 spd, V6 with 70 K on it about 3 years ago for $10K, and it was in cherry shape. But, if you want it, buy it, they are good little toy trucks. I use mine as a TOAD and have towed it for over 20K miles and it has served me well. At 100+K miles, make sure it has had the timing belt replaced or replace it after you buy it.

Reply to
Joseph Myers

Is the truck a Pre-Runner or standard truck. I have a 2000 Pre-Runner with the 3.4. First failed part was mass air flow sensor last month. Not bad for 7 years service. Scott

Reply to
zonie

Thanks for your reponses, everyone. I am supposed to pick up the truck this week. Again, it is a 1999, V6, extended Cab 4x4. Your posts brought up a few questions:

Did Toyota actually pay for the damage related to the blown head gasket, even though the truck had over 200,000 miles on it!!!???

I will have to go to a mechanic for any major mechanical work. All I do it oil changes. Where do you suggest I get maintenance done? (With my Honda Civic (202,000 miles on it), I have had luck with "factory certified" mechanics. I have had worse luck with regular mechanics. And even worse luck with dealerships). What are your thoughts.

Thanks again

Reply to
jwill

Yes, Toyota did pay for the new short block and the head gaskets and the labor. I paid for parts related to the teardown and reassembly - cam belt tensioner, cam belt, water pump, thermostat, alternator, p.s. and a/c belts. The head gasket was covered under a factory recall program and the pitting/etching of the cylinder walls was directly due to the introduction of coolant from the blown head gasket. I called my local Toyota dealership and was instructed to drive it in (slowly), making sure the coolant was full.

I didn't even have to scream or threaten. They bucked up and accepted responsibility. I'm now a Toyota customer for life, needless to say.

Reply to
Lhead